Wheres good local diving with Kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just looking for some new local spots to go with my 11 Year old. We do dutch a lot, and have season passes so am sure will do a ton there this year. Other then that though I have only taken him to the Caribbean to dive and would like to go do more local dives with him. I am near Philly FWIW, any other suggestions?

Willow Springs can be fun, it is near Reading. Be forewarned - the viz can suck. Small place and mostly shallow.

Guppy Gulch is another one down near the MD/PA border, have not been there yet myself, but plan on hitting it pretty soon since it is close to home.

Jeff

Thanks Cobra, Ill have to check those out.

While Cape Ann is a bit of a haul from PA it's a nice place for a kid to see a historic fishing towns, maritime centers, whale watching, kayaking in Essex / Ispwich Estuaries plus there are all sorts of shallow water coves near Rockport/Gloucester where a kid could easily snorkel. The clarity of the water is not bad at all.

I used to trained a lot of folks at Dutch, and a lot of teens too. After being there so many times - it just gets boring seeing the same ole' sights. same ole' people, same old dressing room etc. That said - teens never seem to tire of the place?

X

Thanks X, Cape Ann sounds like fun. Dutch can get a bit mundane after so many dives there. I try to use it as an easy place to practice skills and help my son fine tune his trim (or lack thereof) and buoyancy skills. He is going to take AOW there next spring when he is 12 so I got him a compass and will have him lead many of our dives this year.

You should try Guppy Gulch. I was there this weekend because I am looking for a place to teach Open Water. Compared to Dutch it is smaller and the visibility isn't as good, I has 6'. But I spoke to another diver who was further out and he said he had 20'. The training platforms aren't as deep as Dutch which is nice to see. Till the end of May it only coast $15 to dive, next month it is going up to $20. Gas is cheaper in MD and there aren't any tolls, so It is a much cheaper day than Dutch. I'm also from Philly so if you want to dive there, message me and I'd be happy to go with you. I'm planning on diving every weekend so I can get to know it well enough to be comfortable teaching there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom