Where's a good place for a quick shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm going to be around West Palm Beach at the end of the month, and would like to spend a little time getting my trim straightened out.

Right now everything is perfect for local dives (local to me) with a drysuit and steel tank in fresh water, but since I'll be in a 3-mil wetsuit with an aluminum tank in salt water, I think it may need a little adjusting. :cool:

All of the public beaches I've seen have lifeguards that won't let SCUBA divers into the water. Is there some secret handshake that's required to get into the ocean without a boat? :cool: I hate to waste time on a boat dive screwing around with weights and changing tank positions.

Thanks!

Terry

Web Monkey:
All of the public beaches I've seen have lifeguards that won't let SCUBA divers into the water. Is there some secret handshake that's required to get into the ocean without a boat? :cool: I hate to waste time on a boat dive screwing around with weights and changing tank positions.

My favorite beach dive is Blue Heron bridge, but it's been closed since the hurricanes. The short span is diveable... but, you can't park in Phil Foster park.. you can only drop off your gear... go park your car... then dive... I know some people who swam from the short span to the bridge... You can at least check your buoyancy there...

Al

One way to park is to just park on the North side of the bridge. If you get a ticket it is only $25. Not bad price to dive. After you gear up, walk north toward the marina. You can walk into the water right by the wall. It is a little rocky but do able. The bridge is divable but there were still a few boats sunk.

Force E dive shop has a GREAT shore dive book that has nifty maps and directions for $15.

Ann

I ususally add 4lbs when I switch from my 120 steels to aluminum. I usually dive with a 3 mil farmer john shorty and 5lbs.

I hope that helps. If you are used to diving in the frigid north you probably will not need a wetsuit. A skin will probably be all you need. I get cold real easily and I dove in the keys (84) and all I needed was a skin. The water in WP over the weekend was about 82/83. The last dive had a drop in temp to 79.

ann

\

Web Monkey:
I'm going to be around West Palm Beach at the end of the month, and would like to spend a little time getting my trim straightened out.

Right now everything is perfect for local dives (local to me) with a drysuit and steel tank in fresh water, but since I'll be in a 3-mil wetsuit with an aluminum tank in salt water, I think it may need a little adjusting. :cool:

Thanks!

Terry

Thanks everybody!

I'll definitely pick up the shore dives book, since it was getting depressing having miles and miles of ocean where I couldn't get in, and I'll give the bridge a try.

Terry

dive4funOften:
One way to park is to just park on the North side of the bridge. If you get a ticket it is only $25. Not bad price to dive. After you gear up, walk north toward the marina. You can walk into the water right by the wall. It is a little rocky but do able. The bridge is divable but there were still a few boats sunk.

Force E dive shop has a GREAT shore dive book that has nifty maps and directions for $15.

Ann

dive4funOften:
I ususally add 4lbs when I switch from my 120 steels to aluminum. I usually dive with a 3 mil farmer john shorty and 5lbs.
\

I'll probably borrow or rent an empty Al 80 from a shop and do a buoyancy check. I can guess how much I'll need to get under, but I'm much happier when it's very close to correct.

When going from steel to aluminum and drysuit to 3mm wetsuit everything changes. BEsides the weight, I need to find the right tank position and weight location, so it's work an extra dive and a little work.

I'm much happier neutral and horizontal. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom