Where would you live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Where? Any good diving?

Honestly, I don't know. But... I live near Atlanta, GA with the busiest airport (passenger-wise) in the world. I pretty much have to rely on the Caribbean if I want some decent, warm water diving within six hours of flight time of me. Hawaii is about nine hours away, and gawd help me if I ever wanted to dive in more exotic places (if not in time, at least in airfares). I remember on one of our visits to Italy, the flu was going around pretty bad. I talked to my doctor about getting Tamiflu before we left, just in case. He asked where we were going and then refused, saying that Italy had a better healthcare system anyway (I know this will cause a lot of flaming, but it's what he said). I don't worry about the education system (I don't have kids), but I am sure it could be very good. Just my two bubbles...

Googled and found this:
These are the most expensive cities in the world in 2019
If you have expenses covered, it may not be too bad.

SEA - KL / Singapore would be a good choice. They are situated in the heart of south east asia and many airlines (both full board and low cost) catering the region. I known people who lives in Singapore, traveled frequently to Indonesia for dives (e.g. Bali, Pulau Weh, Banda, Misool, Komodo, Lombok, etc). Its still a long travel time due to limited direct transport but compared to travelling all the way from NA / Europe, its way closer & cheaper.

Although my favorite dive destination is British Columbia, there is nowhere I would rather live than the South Bay area of Los Angeles. We have local diving that can be incredible, eight offshore islands and even more diving just a few hours drive north or south.
I'm fortunate to have a boat less than two miles from my house, with many dive sites a short distance from the marina. With a twelve month dive season and a temperate climate, there's no place like home.
Antiopella barbarensis (2).jpg

Peltodoris mullineri.jpg

White Point Pipe_ART1178.jpg

33723806396_ddfd623c07_o.jpg

Haggerty's 6.jpg

Haggerty's 12.jpg

yourshot-1202601-7300297.jpg

33218555631_366cbb781e_o.jpg

32921452414_a4458b0707_o.jpg

yourshot-1202601-7406958.jpg

There's no way that I would put Jakarta on the list. My father lived there for a number of decades, so I have some experience in that regard. If my choice was Jakarta or Singapore only, I'd pick Singapore in 600 sq ft over Jakarta in 1600 sq ft or even 6000 sq ft.

Besides the safety of food and water, which you can usually control by taking precautions, you should also think about the prevalence of tropical diseases in various locations, especially since you have a young child. I'm talking about diseases like malaria, dengue, typhoid, etc. I'm not saying that this is the only factor to consider, but it should also be taken into consideration when you make your decision. Good luck with your choice!

That's a huge area to cover! It's seems that no matter where you settle he will be spending a lot of time in airports and on planes. If you could narrow it down - try to figure out the likely destinations that he would be traveling to most frequently - that would help in making a decision.

Maybe you could settle in Denmark for a year and see how the job shakes out, and then make the decision.

Yes, I get eaten by mozzies and am allergic to them + heat (humidity) and perfume, so that’s why it will likely stay at toying with the idea, to move to somewhere else in the world:-/

I’m not sure he would know in a year, where he’s most likely to be. Currently he covers Middle Easy, Africa and India, travels to “fun” places like Basra and Nigeria.

New job will be a lot of traveling, so the most likely outcome is we will settle in Denmark and travel 6-7 weeks during the summer (the coming summer we’re already booked to Bali, Komodo and Alor, 2021 will likely be Chile and Ecuador/Galapagos)
This will also give our daughter a chance to live close to grandparents etc.

Since I know the OP (and she and her husband are lovely)

For the guarantee of education, travel and medical, then KL or Sing

If you had access to great international schools, then Bali ((lembongan coast) But bear in mind, not matter how spectacular local diving is, it can get repetitive after a while

This will also give our daughter a chance to live close to grandparents etc.
Fair enough, but be ready for the repatriation shock, which, imo, way harder than the cultural shock when you migrate to a new country. Leaving the "expat" life behind can be quite a struggle (though still potentially a rewarding journey).

There's no way that I would put Jakarta on the list. My father lived there for a number of decades, so I have some experience in that regard. If my choice was Jakarta or Singapore only, I'd pick Singapore in 600 sq ft over Jakarta in 1600 sq ft or even 6000 sq ft.
Here wisdom hath been spokenth.

@chillyinCanada forgot to share my JKT story. Like how I was fervently warned about MNL traffics, I also learned about JKT via my lovely gf, who dated a girl in JKT. They never had anywhere to hang out except for the malls, which is super lame. But with the traffic, it's not possible to go anywhere, and everywhere is oppressively hot. Seems my gf has an affiliation with SEA cities with dysfunctional traffics :cool:

Meanwhile, I experience the region via diving. As a solo traveling queer female diver, I also have this tendency of falling madly in love with some famously ultra conservative, Sharia-ruled dive destinations (Pulau Weh! Brunei!). Can never live there though, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom