Where would you go in the Caribe if you had a free ticket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarealtor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I finally got enough SkyMiles for two free tickets anywhere in the caribbean that delta services.

now to decide the destination. i will want to dive as much as possible. my wife wants two tanks mornings and then do other things.

also, since i'm a cheapo i want a destination that has a high ticket price since they are paying this time. i'll go the the cheaper destinations on my dime. :)

saba

(but that's because that's my next dive goal!)

Don't be too sure. I cashed in some Delta FF mile for a couple caribbean certificates only to end up letting the tickets expire. With limited flight availability and very inconvient routes, I finally just gave up. For example, after trying numerous dates, they finialy told me those certificates would not get me to Bonaire. Even what should have been a fairly simple trip from TX to Cancun (Cozumel not available) was 3 segments routed thru Mexico City with arrival in Cancun around 2300. No thanks.

You may want to consider some domestic options.

H2Andy:
saba

(but that's because that's my next dive goal!)

never heard of it. :) what made you pick that location?

I've seen and read a lot of good things about Saba over the years. I think there might be an article in one of the diving magazines from the past couple of months, I'm not sure.

It's on my short list too. It's supposed to be one of the more pristine, under-developed locations left. And it's been a marine park sanctuary since 1987 so the fishlife/coral growth is supposed to be excellent and relatively untouched. Saba is in the hurricane belt though and from what I gather there's not much to do topside, no beaches or anything. So your wife might be bored.

I think some of the dive operators go over there from St. Martin/Sint Maarten also. So you could stay on St. Martin, dive there, possibly dive Saba, and still have things to do in the afternoon.

What about Cozumel or Grand Cayman? Both have good diving and other things to do. Or the Bahamas - at least from here, some of those flights are pretty pricey.

Ditto, go to Saba. Been 4 times and it's the best in the Caribbean. Dive with Saba Deep. Small op, great service and safe. I used to rate Cozumel first, then Saba. After the last hurricane season, it's Saba first now, then Cozumel.

Sandra

If you have a time window in mind you might just start trying to see where you can actually get FF tickets to around then, rather than getting your heart set too soon on a destination. You'll have the best chances if your dates are flexible and possibly if you fly midweek, and of course not at the really popular times. A lot of Delta's Caribbean destinations are codeshare with other airlines. Be prepared that even if Delta can get you to the hub, the other carrier may not have FF seats available. If so you'd have to pay for the last leg or pick someplace else.

Back
Top Bottom