Where/when is it safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't imagine that diving in itself would be a COVID-19 risk, but flying, staying in a resort, eating in a restaurant, sailing on a dive boat, interacting with dive masters and other divers, renting gear, buying air, etc. might be. So where is it safe to dive and when? Are we going to have to take a refresher coarse when/if it's finally safe to dive again?

I think with proper care and attention to some details, diving isn't much more "at risk" than going to the grocery store or post office. My last trip to the post office was much more crowded than my last boat dive off Jupiter.

The answers are going to be wide ranging depending on each respondents tolerance for the risks.
The answers are going to be wide ranging depending on each respondents definition of the risks.

You opened this can of worms. Hang on. :)

I have flown down to Florida, West Palm, twice, once in June and once in July. Airports in Philadelphia and West Palm had everyone in masks. Everyone wore masks on the flights. My car rentals at National had everyone in masks and a cleaning checklist on the rearview mirror. I am lucky that I have my own townhouse. I went to the grocery store once, everyone wore a mask. My only other exposure was on the dive boats, half load, no more than 10 on the dive deck, masks when not diving. I've been back home for 5 days, so far, so good.
Back in the high life again
Back in the high life, part 2

If I lived in your neck of the woods...I’d run down to Blue Heron Bridge or Lauderdale by the Sea and do some shore diving. The only time you have to interact with anyone is when you get cylinders filled (wear a mask and you should be good).

Get a room on the beach (or make the two hour drive that day) and bust out some shore dives.

I’ll be hitting a local shore dive spot next Friday (will be my first time diving this year). Judging from the pictures I see posting up on their Facebook page, I’ll be the only one walking around with a mask on.

Where is "local" for you?

2 hour drive from Oakland to Monterey/Carmel.

Earlier this year, I couldn't dive b/c the State of California had restrictions on traveling between counties, and Monterey County was not really welcoming any outsiders, and all the dive shops were closed.

For now, the pool is open again. I am concerned the same restrictions as above will be re-instituted.

I dont know if you have any shore diving near you. If not, then my suggestion wasnt really helpful.

Anywhere in the world can be safe. I have and will always take responsibility for my own safety and if I'm doing my part there is very little way for others to have much of an effect on me in most circumstances.
My job to distance, ensure I'm masked and avoid congested areas. My job to avoid businesses which don't enforce even basic recommendations. My job to sanitize, glove up or not touch surfaces I'm not comfortable with.
If following all my personal guidelines means I have change plans or expectations then that's what I do. Expecting others to cater to my particular interpretation of rules is a sure way to be unhappy and unpopular in any circumstance. People have proven not particularly reliable compared to my dogs.

I agree with all. Just wear the mask when around people. My solo shore diving wasn't at all affected right from the pandemic start in March. If you're buddying up, wear the mask, make sure your buddy does, and try to be sure your buddy is covid free.

We have been in Tulum Mexico since November 22th - here until December 30th. Tulum is busy - restaurants are 75% full. Streets are busy. Full mix of people - young - middle aged - and perhaps our age group also :). Grocery stores - everyone wears a mask - Streets - most people wear a mask. Life looks normal here with the exception of mask wearing. Would be nice to have some of my cave diving buddies here but unfortunately they are not. Don't judge me if you think I should be at home hiding away and watching the news. I choose to live as close to a normal life as possible while wearing a mask were it is expected. And the cave diving has been great!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom