"Where were you when the lights went out?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I am always at work. Right in the middle of a call "Poof" then the back up generators came on. Darn things. :(

diverlady once bubbled...
SNIPPED

Now explain this to me: Ontario is in a state of emergency with appeals to use as little power as possible. So why is the Toronto Stock Exchange open? It's not an essential service!! It being open encourages all the traders, support staff, technicians and such to go to work powering on thousands of computers, lights and airconditioning. How does that make sense????
If it were an essential service it would be open 24/7. It's not. How careless of the business district to do this.

Rotating blackouts courtesy of the big banks that pull the strings at the TSE.

Diverlady

OK Riddle me this... how come my neighbours all have their airconditioning on and one of them is outside right now watering the ****ing lawn!

Doppler once bubbled...

OK Riddle me this... how come my neighbours all have their airconditioning on and one of them is outside right now watering the ****ing lawn!

Because they need a good beating. Makes you wonder what these people are thinking.

Doppler once bubbled...

Yup a good beating. Or, failing that, sabotage the A/C and sprinkler (unless they water their lawn with stored rainwater - some people do) I'd fink on them at least. (This is where a good old-fashioned shunning can work wonders). If the A/Cs stay on, you folks down there will probably stay dark a lot longer because the system will go down again.

We didn't get hit at all - even though places around Atikokan did (?).

So when some elderly people in high rise apartments who can't get water or ac DIES, we'll be sure to blame those with AC running and the TSE for their lack of consideration.

I can't believe how inconsiderate some people can be!

Diverlady

PS The director of my department just went out to get us some treats. I can't believe she brought back CORONAS AND WOODY'S!!
Okay, so my workplace ain't so bad after all and I guess I don't mind staying a bit late tonight!!

:cheers:

D

diverlady once bubbled...

Now explain this to me: Ontario is in a state of emergency with appeals to use as little power as possible. So why is the Toronto Stock Exchange open? It's not an essential service!! It being open encourages all the traders, support staff, technicians and such to go to work powering on thousands of computers, lights and airconditioning. How does that make sense????
If it were an essential service it would be open 24/7. It's not. How careless of the business district to do this.

Rotating blackouts courtesy of the big banks that pull the strings at the TSE.

Diverlady

Normally I would agree, but today is not a regular trading day. Today is the 3rd friday of the month, which is options expiry day, and there are probably millions of dollars worth of options positions that could be at risk as well as untold millions in potentially unhedged exposure should positions not be allowed to closed out today. And a good chunk of this would be in many pension funds, including cpp and other pensions like teachers. While not an essential service I agree, there could be significant financial repercussions.....

I was almost home from work. I'm another rural person so I thought "oh yeah, the power's out no big deal" and I went to mow the lawn. 2 hrs later the lawn is done still no power so I checked the radio in the truck.:eek:

I had power back around 1 am, didn't go to work this am because I couldn't get my pump going. It's fine now but apparently they sent everyone home at 10:30.

Doppler once bubbled...

I don't know how it works in the frozen north, but in NO lif you turn the AC off for an hour when you turn it back on again you'll spend 3 hours pumping the water out of your house air before it starts to cool off again! We gotta let the AC get a run on it when the sun's down or it'll never chatch up this time of year.

FT

wlo93

I've worked in trading for many years now and completely understand expiry day and triple witching etc. That doesn't mean a shorter trading day wasn't possible. Many traders that I deal with everyday are complaining the exchange shouldn't have opened or opened only for a few hours.

As far as I'm concerned, they could have made better decisions. I used to be in wonder about the whole 'stock market' thing until I'd worked at the TSE for a while. Since then I've seen many a bone-headed decision made there. Thankfully I got out and moved on to better things although still in the industry so I still see their blunders.

The brewskies are flowing here now!! :cheers:

Diverlady

Back
Top Bottom