Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1stowd.JPG

Just north of Refugio beach in Santa barbara... Gauchoooooooooos Gauchoooooooooos oleeeee ole ole ole!!!! *throw tortillia* Gauchoooooooooos Gauchoooooooooos

My first dive was a resort dive in St. Thomas back in the winter of 2001.

I almost lost the drive to dive when I couldn't clear my mask correctly. Each time I tried to demonstrate the mask clear skill I blew to the top with water in breathing passages and a flooded mask. I finally realized that I was doing it incorrectly and instead of opening the bottom you're supposed to hold the top in.

Now with that figured out it was back to swimming like, and finally with, the fish.

- Rob

In 89 check out dives for OW - Lake Tahoe, my instructor found a piece of construction flagging as a souvenier. Then check out dives for Advanced in 89, Lake Tahoe. Then for Thanksgiving weekend dove the Northern Channel Islands for 3 days on a boat, I am hooked.

And Rescue in 03 check out dives, Lake Tahoe.

Guess what - now I avoid Lake Tahoe except for emergencies, like when I HAVE TO GET WET.

In 89 check out dives for OW - Lake Tahoe, my instructor found a piece of construction flagging as a souvenier. Then check out dives for Advanced in 89, Lake Tahoe. Then for Thanksgiving weekend dove the Northern Channel Islands for 3 days on a boat, I am hooked.

And Rescue in 03 check out dives, Lake Tahoe.

Guess what - now I avoid Lake Tahoe except for emergencies, like when I HAVE TO GET WET.

that there is some coooooollllld water.

I certified OW P.K. (pre-kids) for something to do and did not dive again for 16 years (my loss). My first OW dive was on the Marie Celeste off the SW shore of Bermuda. 65feet, great vis and a beatiful sidewheel Civil War blockade runner. Anyway, my daughter certified in college for her PE credit and this was one of her first OW dives.

Lake Winnepesaukee, Wolfeboro, NH. Off the dock at the back of the shop my instructor owned. Water was 48 degrees; ill fitting rental wetsuits - holes in my gloves. It was still more fun then the pool dives, but I don't ever want to go back THERE again. :p

What??? You just used the words "48 degrees" and "wetsuit" together. As you can see from where I live, I've never seen 48 degree water, let alone get in it. Take thyself to Key Largo this June for some 86 water and no wesuit. You have earned it if you certified under those conditions.

my first dive was in Costa Maya, id have to check the log book for location. but it's something i'll never forget. I remember a school of tarpon came up to us and swam aruond us checking us out. It was also my first experience with marine life up so close, well other than the catfish at Mt storm WV, so it was very exciting for me.

Monterrey, CA, February 1998 shore dive. The weekend of our scheduled OW certification dive an El Nino storm rolled in. Our DM took a vote from his students on whether to proceed and since several of us were heading to Hawaii scuba vacation a week later, we decided to go ahead (against the dive shop's orders).

As newbies in our 6-7mm suits we struggled against crazy surf at surface, with 5-ft vis and 15-ft surge underneath. We clung to a safety line at the bottom while doing our mask and buddy breathing drills. The compass navigation was a bust -- even our DM got lost. Amazingly we all made it to the surface, chilled to the bone, proud and daydreaming of the next week in Kona.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom