Where was the instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well just a little opinion from a recently certified diver that had to do all of those skills both in the pool and in the open water. I really think all of them really helped to make me feel alot more comfortable in the water, and I know that the fin pivot helped me maintain neutral bouyancy. I was one of those that in the pool the first time thought that I always had to fidget with adding air in and out to keep me from dragging on the bottom or shooting to the surface, but will all the skills practice I learned that it was way more efficient to get neutral and use my lung volume, and I used up alot less air by not fidgeting. And really when you think about it, isnt it better to practice and know all the skills and feel comfortable with them and not need them, then to need them in an emergency situation and wish you had learned. :wink: It also really doesnt do any good to blame the people involved in the accident just to be grateful everyone is okay and to learn from it.

Once again the above opinions are mine and mine alone :D

I can't help than to emphatically state that diving is a sport that requires skill and some risk. We aren't forced to make a dive, we assume the risks when we choose to do so. I am just incredulous that anyone would even consider a lawsuit based upon this.
My scuba accident cost my insurance company well over 1.4 million dollars. The dive shop I rented my equipment from that day cautiously asked me if I was going to sue. I looked at him in disbelief, why on earth would I sue anyone for my poor judgement?
I chose to try to make a dive I hadn't made before. My buddies felt I could make the dive, I felt I could make the dive, we both turned out to be mistaken. No equipment failure, poor choice. Would I sue my dive buddies for letting it happen to me? Heck No! I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for them, I thank God for them and owe them my life. Would I sue the hospital, county of Monterey, ambulance service, dive shop? Wouldn't even give it a moment's thought. We all make the choice to dive and have to accept the risks that come with it.
God I hate this litigious world we live in.

pacificgal:
I can't help than to emphatically state that diving is a sport that requires skill and some risk. We aren't forced to make a dive, we assume the risks when we choose to do so. I am just incredulous that anyone would even consider a lawsuit based upon this.
My scuba accident cost my insurance company well over 1.4 million dollars. The dive shop I rented my equipment from that day cautiously asked me if I was going to sue. I looked at him in disbelief, why on earth would I sue anyone for my poor judgement?
I chose to try to make a dive I hadn't made before. My buddies felt I could make the dive, I felt I could make the dive, we both turned out to be mistaken. No equipment failure, poor choice. Would I sue my dive buddies for letting it happen to me? Heck No! I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for them, I thank God for them and owe them my life. Would I sue the hospital, county of Monterey, ambulance service, dive shop? Wouldn't even give it a moment's thought. We all make the choice to dive and have to accept the risks that come with it.
God I hate this litigious world we live in.

I agree with the sentiment, although I would suggest that it is more that there is a litigious country than world. Things are pleasantly far from litigious over here.
We are even exempt from being required by PADI to have liability insurance.

One of the most important steps any diver can take, is the realization that they are the one responsable to keep themself safe... not the instructor, not their buddies... themself.

How many divers blindly follow the 'lead' diver with no clue where the beach is ? How many dive even when they are uncomfortable or the conditions exceed their ability ?

Dont get me wrong; buddies should be there for each other. But even the best buddy may not be in the right position to save your _ss. Self compitence and self rescue skills are a must ! Have YOU taken RESCUE yet ? :wink:

Just my $0.02.

WHERE WAS YOUR INSTUCTOR. I'm a DM and I am not amused. The Instuctor should be ashamed for not taking proper care of their students. You are very lucky to be alive. I'm grateful for that. Please continue on, but with another Dive Center. Diving is a wonderful joy.

Boy it sure is easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback, I read some of the comments from the highly experienced "DM's" recently Certified Divers etc etc pointing fingers or suggesting wrong doing. The only thing I can see from this story is that it is incomplete.
I have been a diving instructor since 1979 and still don't know all there is, but I know enough to have testified as an "expert" in court, been on my share of safety advisory groups and been lucky enough to have worked with some of this industries brightest.
If you look for a "cause" hard enough you can make yourself see one, but if you HAVE all the facts you may find some truths. The story as is only leaves me wondering what was left out and why, like most "stories" take this one with a grain of salt, be glad everyone is living happily ever after! Stay Wet and Stay Safe................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom