Where To?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The camera housing tax is actually an annual fee. If you pay once, it is good for a year if you happen to do a second Socorros trip. Too bad you are cutting yourself our of the Socorros because my recent divers since January of this year have reported stunning dives. If you really want to go, I'd offer an additional $100 discount towards that fee. But I'm not seeing any trips open to the Socorros August thru September on either the Nautilus fleet or Rocio del Mar.

The next options would be Red Sea or Maldives in my humble opinion. Cocos is a long trip back and forth. Lots of ships in the Red Sea. I like Legends but they are usually booked full. In the Maldives, the Carpe Diem fleet (specifically Carpe Novo) and Blue Force. Scubaspa is nice.

We have pushed all of our group trips off to 2022 and a Damai charter to 2023.

NAD-Lembeh Feb 5-15, 2022
Bilikiki June 22 - July 1, 2022
Little Cayman Sept 3-10, 2022
Sorido Bay Raja Ampat Oct 2-12, 2022
Rocio del Mar Socorros Nov 19-28, 2022
Nautilus Belle Amie Dec 20-28, 2022
Damai Raja Ampat June 30 - July 12, 2023

Its looking more and more like trip to Solomon's in August/September is going to be postponed. I am booked on a 14 day trip to Solomon's on Bilikiki. Will know more in June. Looking for alternatives. Have availability from August 19th to September 12th. Any suggestions on where to go during that time frame? Would love to do Indo as an alternate, but that too, looks like it will be closed. Have only done Bali, Gili's, Nusa Penida in Indo. So Komodo/Raj Ampat would be my top choice. Socorro would be great too, but boycotting due to camera housing tax.
I’m in similar situation. My August trip to Indonesia has also been rescheduled to next year. As alternate, I’ll be in Isla Guadalupe, Mexico, with Nautilus Belle Amie on August 11-16.

In September, I’ll be back to Cocos. You should try going Cocos, or the Guadalupe trip since you be coming from San Diego, CA, not Los Cabos.

A Komodo Raja Ampat trip was mentioned. Quite a distance between those two points unless you doing one then flying to the other.

Once you do go to Komodo, notice how much it looks like California with the brown hills.

@Dan I think you said you have done Cocos more than once. How have the crossings been for getting there? Long time in the open ocean so wondering what the average crossing is like?

A Komodo Raja Ampat trip was mentioned. Quite a distance between those two points unless you doing one then flying to the other.

Once you do go to Komodo, notice how much it looks like California with the brown hills.

I have time to do both, but either would be fine too. They would be my first choice, but, alas, Indo is closed...

@Dan I think you said you have done Cocos more than once. How have the crossings been for getting there? Long time in the open ocean so wondering what the average crossing is like?

I’ve done it twice (September 2018 & December 2020). The crossing is about 34-36 hours. September seems to be a better weather than December. That’s why I’m going back there again in September this year.

@btscott I have been to both, once to Komodo on a round trip Bali to Komodo and then a trip to RA. Very hard to pick one if I had to but I would probably pick RA just because of the variety of locations vs Komodo. Some very cool diving at Komodo though. One of places there we had surge in deep water pushing us seemed at least 10 feet back and forth. Diving amongst all the small islands in RA was cool as well. Fiji had some good liveaboard diving as well and the people are great.

Noticed you asking about FP. I think that is also closed right now.

I'm planning for a sabbatical trip next year. First trip with the kids so not my beloved liveaboards. Europe then somewhere exotic, maybe orangutans in Indo. There is so much to see on land and sea there.

Back
Top Bottom