Where to this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We had to take a weekend off because my wife/buddy got sick... So far we have been to Redondo, Edmonds UWP, Cove 1, and Cove 2. Where to next for the scuba newbies? Langley tire reef looks fun but I'm not ready to trek out to the island yet.

Matt-

If you haven't been out there yet, I'd honestly suggest making the trek to Hood Canal. Either do Octopus Hole or Sund Rock, the latter I'd suggest paying the fee at Hood Sport n' Dive and doing a couple tanks. You can even run back into town and get fills if you need to. If you do Sund Rock, call ahead and get on their list, sometimes the lot fills up on the weekend.

A bit of a drive, but the vis will be good, and by summer it may be low O2 conditions out there again, so catch it while it is good.

Both spots are fairly straight-forward, the Canal doesn't have much in terms of currents, and navigation should be easy there. An easy day trip.

-Doug

Octopus Hole is a good bet. The vis has been around 40 feet in that area the last few reports I've heard... plus, it is relatively easy to navigate for a person who hasn't been there before.

I did three days of diving in Hoodsport two weeks ago and it was great. I would pick Sund Rock over Octopus Hole. There is a lot more life at Sund Rock. One of my dives had 7 wolf eels, two good sized octos, one huge octo and a bunch of big lingcod guarding their eggs. The wreck there is always cool to swim around.

Back
Top Bottom