Where to take my IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you realize how elitist & condescending you sound? You would turn down a newly minted Instructor because "that person would be an unknown to us and there are others always more deserving. Let them get experience elsewhere." Do you treat your clients with the same disdain?

Furthermore, I beg to differ on your assessment of an IDC: that IS where a person learns to be an Instructor. OTOH, the IE is purely there to test & evaluate the IDC Grad's ability to meet the standards required of them to become an OWSI.

I do not think it is "elitist or condenescending" at all.
Its called BUSINESS...you hire someone who in your opinion is the most qualified and who you trust..There are only so many spots open for an instructor at the facility,do you not hire what you believe is the best qualified? After all we give instructors keys to the facilities for access at all hours because of the level of trust .Bringing in a unknown ,unexperienced instructor vs someone who came up thru the ranks or is known in the industry is a no brainer..Clients are different,they come to us because they want us to provide them a service, not to work for us.I tried to bring in a instructor that did their inital courses elsewhere when I owned a LDS..He tried to sway my customers to take additional courses thru himself and not the facility.
As to your statement about the IDC is where a person learns to be an instructor can be viewed as misleading...The IDC/IE process is there to meet a level of standards.Its a way to grade someone fairly as to certify them as an instructor.It does not teach you to become an instructor.It will only teach you to pass an IE..only experience and mentoring from the right people will make you an instructor.
I have worked at IDC's as a IDCS instr many times.and got paid to do it.Have seen many new instr's that could have used alot more time as dm's assisting classes before becoming an instructor.They passed the IE but can they be effective ,productive instructors for the facility? No way.
I am sure many other store owners/experienced instructors here would agree with me.

Back
Top Bottom