Where to take my IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanne001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to be finishing up my last DM class this Sunday (2/8/09). DH and I are going to Key Largo for the months of March and April. While we are down there we are thinking about doing our IDC through Ocean Divers. Anybody have any feedback of the quality of training and the kind of instructors that they produce? Should we be looking elsewhere? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong location.

Jeanne

I did my IDC at Ocean Divers in Feb 2008. Georgia Hausserman is a great course director. You can also check out Horizon Divers (across the canal from Ocean Divers) and speak with the course director Tom Witmer, who I also highly recommend.

I am going to be finishing up my last DM class this Sunday (2/8/09). DH and I are going to Key Largo for the months of March and April. While we are down there we are thinking about doing our IDC through Ocean Divers. Anybody have any feedback of the quality of training and the kind of instructors that they produce? Should we be looking elsewhere? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong location.

Jeanne

Did you ask the instructor you are taking DM course from?
Where are you going to teach once you become an instructor?
I suggest talking to instructor/facility where you did the DM course and see if they can recommend someone or can set up and IDC at their location.I only say this for if you plan to work locally at the same facility it is best to have a working relationship with them so that they know you and perhaps give you classes.
When I owned an LDS I never used an instructor taught elsewhere unless they were known to me from having been in the local industry for quite a while (proven history)or someone we taught from ow on to DM and AI.

When I owned an LDS I never used an instructor taught elsewhere unless they were known to me from having been in the local industry for quite a while (proven history)or someone we taught from ow on to DM and AI.

I have to say that I find this interesting, I suppose in no small part because my LDS owner said the same thing to me. I HAD to do my IDC with "his" chosen CD if I wanted to continue to be associated with the shop.

This, of course, leads me to believe that there ARE differences in IDC's and thus, perhaps, even in the IE's. But really, are the IDC's that different? Just referring to PADI -- if that different, is there ANY level at which there is uniformity -- or is it ALWAYS "the instructor stupid!"

My husband and I are relocating to Florida. We may stay/work in Fl. or then again we may go elsewhere. Therefore, it is not possible to take our IDC through our local LDS. I was just looking for feedback on Ocean Divers Programs and the quality of instructors they produce. I realize that the quality of instructors produced has alot to do with the skill pkg of the student. Should we be concerned taking our DM class locally and then doing the IDC in Fl.?

I have to say that I find this interesting, I suppose in no small part because my LDS owner said the same thing to me. I HAD to do my IDC with "his" chosen CD if I wanted to continue to be associated with the shop.

This, of course, leads me to believe that there ARE differences in IDC's and thus, perhaps, even in the IE's. But really, are the IDC's that different? Just referring to PADI -- if that different, is there ANY level at which there is uniformity -- or is it ALWAYS "the instructor stupid!"

Peter ; nothing is cut in stone,but when looking to bring in a instructor I would always look at someone we groomed and who did their courses with us and purchased their gear with us..that person would know how we operate and there will be a relationship of trust there.
I would hire an instructor that came from somewhere else if they can "bring something to the table" such as vast experience from teaching elsewhere and we know of their abilities.I probably would not bring in an a new instructor right out of the IE-that was never a customer of ours.That person would be an unknown to us and there are others always more deserving.Let them get experience elsewhere.
As to IDC's / IE that are different,some may be more organized than others but it is mostly uniform in design and execution.Its the only way to be fair for all.Remember the IDC/IE is not there to teach you how to dive or even how to be an instructor.Its function is to see that tested abilities are met to a standard
of acceptance. I am sure there are many Doctors out there that did not finish first in their class and are doing surgery just fine,perhaps not as good as others but they met the standards of what they were measured against and now have a license.Its how the individual applies themselves once they get a OWSI rating and how they improve their teaching skills after the IDC/IE experience.

Peter ; nothing is cut in stone,but when looking to bring in a instructor I would always look at someone we groomed and who did their courses with us and purchased their gear with us..that person would know how we operate and there will be a relationship of trust there.
I would hire an instructor that came from somewhere else if they can "bring something to the table" such as vast experience from teaching elsewhere and we know of their abilities.I probably would not bring in an a new instructor right out of the IE-that was never a customer of ours.That person would be an unknown to us and there are others always more deserving.Let them get experience elsewhere.
As to IDC's / IE that are different,some may be more organized than others but it is mostly uniform in design and execution.Its the only way to be fair for all.Remember the IDC/IE is not there to teach you how to dive or even how to be an instructor.Its function is to see that tested abilities are met to a standard
of acceptance. I am sure there are many Doctors out there that did not finish first in their class and are doing surgery just fine,perhaps not as good as others but they met the standards of what they were measured against and now have a license.Its how the individual applies themselves once they get a OWSI rating and how they improve their teaching skills after the IDC/IE experience.

Do you realize how elitist & condescending you sound? You would turn down a newly minted Instructor because "that person would be an unknown to us and there are others always more deserving. Let them get experience elsewhere." Do you treat your clients with the same disdain?

Furthermore, I beg to differ on your assessment of an IDC: that IS where a person learns to be an Instructor. OTOH, the IE is purely there to test & evaluate the IDC Grad's ability to meet the standards required of them to become an OWSI.

My husband and I are relocating to Florida. We may stay/work in Fl. or then again we may go elsewhere. Therefore, it is not possible to take our IDC through our local LDS. I was just looking for feedback on Ocean Divers Programs and the quality of instructors they produce. I realize that the quality of instructors produced has alot to do with the skill pkg of the student. Should we be concerned taking our DM class locally and then doing the IDC in Fl.?

You may want to rethink your time table a bit. It takes more than "a class" to become a good DM; it usually takes months, if not years, to hone your skills & learn to be a true dive pro.

Once you have attained proficiency as a DM, that is the time to be IDC shopping. Not the other way around.

Pax,

Did my IDC with Ocean Divers,2005 everything is located on site. You even get to do a Hyperbrarics Chamber ride with Dick Rutkowski real interesting fellow. Had a blast they made the IE seem easy. Art Hummel & Simon selwod were my CD's

Submariner, Your point is well taken. I too think I should take the time to hone my skills as a DM before going right to instructor. But when talking to different training facilities, they get you pumped up and into thinking you should go from one class directly into the other. They say that is how the system is set up. (to go directly from DM to instructor. That is how they make thier money right?)

But to clarify my situation, I have recently completed my DM classes/internships etc here locally. My husband is planning on taking his when we are down in Fl. taking advantage of where we are going to be. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Back
Top Bottom