Where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bumping this thread rather than starting my own... I'm coming to Phuket in late October, the plan is to stay for three months, working remotely 4-5 days a week and diving on the weekends. I already have one liveaboard booked, but otherwise I plan to do day trips and shore diving - I understand that Kata beach has pretty good macro.
What's the best area for a base of operations? Chalong/Rawai? Any point in staying further north, like Patong or Kamala, or will riding a bike back and forth several times a week kill any potential advantages of that, if there are any?
Also, what's the best way to look for a rental house there? I see a bunch of listings on Facebook, but those are impossible to filter and difficult to sift through one at a time, while various realtor sites that do have filtering seem to be showing pre-COVID prices that are several times higher than what I see on Facebook.

I would just get there and find something.

Bumping this thread rather than starting my own... I'm coming to Phuket in late October, the plan is to stay for three months, working remotely 4-5 days a week and diving on the weekends. I already have one liveaboard booked, but otherwise I plan to do day trips and shore diving - I understand that Kata beach has pretty good macro.
What's the best area for a base of operations? Chalong/Rawai? Any point in staying further north, like Patong or Kamala, or will riding a bike back and forth several times a week kill any potential advantages of that, if there are any?
Also, what's the best way to look for a rental house there? I see a bunch of listings on Facebook, but those are impossible to filter and difficult to sift through one at a time, while various realtor sites that do have filtering seem to be showing pre-COVID prices that are several times higher than what I see on Facebook.
I believe you still need to stay the first 7 days at an SHA hotel. Plenty of time to call them up.
Do not forget Koh Lanta if it is opened. Day trips offered are far better than those from Phuket.

Enjoy your stay.

For a good value house to you have to be on the ground and rude around, check out the options. many available now. If you have your own transport Rawai is a real good option right now. If not, Kata is good, with things slowly opening up, nice housereef closeby and transport to the pier for daytrips included. For diving I would not recommend to stay in Patong or Kamala, simply further than necessary.

For a good value house to you have to be on the ground and rude around, check out the options. many available now.
By riding around you mean look for signs 'This place for rent' out front? This is actually a thing these days?
If you have your own transport Rawai is a real good option right now. If not, Kata is good, with things slowly opening up, nice housereef closeby and transport to the pier for daytrips included.
I would prefer not to hire a motorbike, but from what I gather, it's pretty much a necessity if I'm staying there for any length of time.
For diving I would not recommend to stay in Patong or Kamala, simply further than necessary.
Figured as much. Saw an absolutely lovely house listed on facebook, everything and the kitchen sink (including a large private pool and jacuzzi) for 20k/month, but it's between Surin and Bang Tao :confused:

By riding around you mean look for signs 'This place for rent' out front? This is actually a thing these days?

I would prefer not to hire a motorbike, but from what I gather, it's pretty much a necessity if I'm staying there for any length of time.

Figured as much. Saw an absolutely lovely house listed on facebook, everything and the kitchen sink (including a large private pool and jacuzzi) for 20k/month, but it's between Surin and Bang Tao :confused:
Yes, that is still a thing. That way, and Facebook, will save you a lot on agent prices. Of courses agents may be more convenient, but you pay for that service.
Yes, a motorbike really is a necessity to get around. So if you really like that house it could be worth it to consider spending a bit more time there and renting a bike to get around,m and doing less diving. Life is all a matter of priorities, up to you to set yours.

No more quarantine required and free to travel everywhere!
No detail is available yet and but this is from the PM rather than any ministers.

Rent would surely go up!

That's one of those places that seems to list mostly pre-COVID prices :D

Yes, a motorbike really is a necessity to get around. So if you really like that house it could be worth it to consider spending a bit more time there and renting a bike to get around,m and doing less diving. Life is all a matter of priorities, up to you to set yours.

No, there's plenty of other listings, I was just trying to tap some local knowledge.

No more quarantine required and free to travel everywhere!
No detail is available yet and but this is from the PM rather than any ministers.

Rent would surely go up!

So far this only intent, not an official change yet, which may or may not come at some uncertain point in the future. Still, I better lock in a deal ASAP.

So far this only intent, not an official change yet, which may or may not come at some uncertain point in the future. Still, I better lock in a deal ASAP.
Directly came from the PM therefore should have more weight than anyone else.
Get it done first before speculation pushes the rate up.
Good luck.

That's one of those places that seems to list mostly pre-COVID prices :D

No, there's plenty of other listings, I was just trying to tap some local knowledge.

My take on it was that it seems to allow for offers in some cases, or at least an opportunity to talk it over with the owner.

I saw a place with two beds, two baths that looked as though the bedrooms/baths were in separate buildings from one another and separate from the main house. I thought to myself that you and I could go 50 50 on it. :D

I also another place that looked decent, well located and was $326 Canadian. I thought to myself, darn that Barmaglot! He's going to get my place before I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom