Where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avoid Koh Tao at all costs. seriously.

Tell me why? Heading to Thailand in less than a month, basing in Patong but trying to spend a few nights on other islands.

Tell me why? Heading to Thailand in less than a month, basing in Patong but trying to spend a few nights on other islands.
the diving is mediocre with the exception of southwest and chumphon pinnacles and only then because of the large schools. the reef diving is meh.

too many dive school ops. large boats with 20 or more OW cert candidates. the reefs have taken a beating and reef-safe sunscreen is unheard of.

the island is inundated with tourists. thai food has been watered down to appease western palates. koh tao is less thailand and more western than anything else.

i really wanted to enjoy it for my wife but just couldn't. our daughter did her bubblemaker which was the high point of the stay.

avoid Koh Tao at all costs. seriously.
I’ve been 7 times, the last June this year.

Yes, there are some dives out sites, but using one of the smaller operators, and paying a bit more, gets results.

Master Divers
DJL

the diving is mediocre with the exception of southwest and chumphon pinnacles and only then because of the large schools. the reef diving is meh.

too many dive school ops. large boats with 20 or more OW cert candidates. the reefs have taken a beating and reef-safe sunscreen is unheard of.

the island is inundated with tourists. thai food has been watered down to appease western palates. koh tao is less thailand and more western than anything else.

i really wanted to enjoy it for my wife but just couldn't. our daughter did her bubblemaker which was the high point of the stay.
I can't go back to Koh Tao, spent a couple of months there in 92 and went regularly throughout the 90's and saw it change massively in that time, I think it would break my heart to go back now as it was truly paradise

With regard to dive ops there are some ops that have deliberately stayed small like New Heaven which Dev set up in 94 or 95 and has tried to keep the original small ethos and avoided becoming a cattle boat operatoion. I am also sure Andy @ BigBlueTech will sort out quite dives if you hit him up

I would personally avoid Phi Phi as whilst the diving is OK, you again have cattle boats and you never know what your group will be like, last year I had great dives with instructors and DM's as buddies and then awful dives with barely qualified go pro totting sand kickers.

We are going to Lanta in 2 months which I am hoping is great but I am paying the premium to have a private guide

If you have the funds / time I would do a live aboard such as Sea Bees, The Phinsi or Boots's great boat, Big Blue Khao Lak Big Blue Diving Khao Lak

1. Koh Tao is on the other side ie East coast which is quite a distance from Patong.
2. Similan(LoB) won't be opened until 15th Oct and probably same for Koh Lanta/Lipe.

1. Koh Tao is on the other side ie East coast which is quite a distance from Patong.
2. Similan(LoB) won't be opened until 15th Oct and probably same for Koh Lanta/Lipe.

It is about 8 or 9 hours by road / ferry and can be done with overnight ferry which makes it quite doable if you have the time

Fair point about 15th October, but that is only 41 days away :)

I’ve been 7 times, the last June this year.

Yes, there are some dives out sites, but using one of the smaller operators, and paying a bit more, gets results.

Master Divers
DJL
I dove with Master Divers and absolutely loved the experience with them.

As great as they are, it doesn't make up for the lack of good reef diving. Also, you are sharing the water with ops like Ban's and Big Blue. If you don't get to the popular sites like Japanese Gardens, Twins, Green and White Rock(s), it becomes like rush hour under water.

All I kept picturing was being that kid who gets on the wrong bus after a school field trip and ends up in Connecticut instead of back at their own school.

Also, being brushed out of the way on a fun dive by an instructor with the trailing echelon of OW students was a real put-off.

I'm looking at possibly moving to the area, not just a dive trip. Will be there 4-8 weeks

I'm looking at possibly moving to the area, not just a dive trip. Will be there 4-8 weeks
In which case I would definitely visit the west coast as well. Koh Tao will be worth a few days and Koh Samui whilst not great for diving is a nice island.

It would also be worth visiting Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe, Koh Muk, Koh Chang & Koh Kood

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom