Where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do want to dive there some but it's more about getting away, seeing different things and different culture, it's amazing how small an island can become and with the Covid thing, how trapped we feel. We were thinking more of the West side to stay like say Pa Tong or Karon - how far of a drive or I guess how long of a drive is it to the pier for diving? Maybe we have to overnight in town?? I dunno but first priority is relaxing, second is diving, tenth is looking at possibly relocating.
Chalong Bay in on the Eastern side of the island. While Kata, Karon and Patong is on the Western side.
No doubt U2 will be hiring a motor cycle for local transport but make sure you have all the right document and helmet because Police do check for them occasionally.
Best diving in Phuket is the LoB to Similan Islands.
If I have a month to spend I will split the time between Phuket and Koh Lanta.

Chalong Bay in on the Eastern side of the island. While Kata, Karon and Patong is on the Western side.
No doubt U2 will be hiring a motor cycle for local transport but make sure you have all the right document and helmet because Police do check for them occasionally.
Best diving in Phuket is the LoB to Similan Islands.
If I have a month to spend I will split the time between Phuket and Koh Lanta.

Gracious amigo - we are both very well versed on motos and motorcycles here in Cozumel, even cars!! We will look at Koh Lanta too, it's more about taking it all in in relaxed mode and diving at times!! 4 weeks is quickly becoming 6 weeks...... Oh well

Gracious amigo - we are both very well versed on motos and motorcycles here in Cozumel, even cars!! We will look at Koh Lanta too, it's more about taking it all in in relaxed mode and diving at times!! 4 weeks is quickly becoming 6 weeks...... Oh well
There is a high speed ferry linking both islands during peak season.

And if you into rock climbing then there is in Krabi on the way to Koh Lanta. 6 wks might not be enough!
How about Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia all within 1 day of travelling(road)?

There is a high speed ferry linking both islands during peak season.

And if you into rock climbing then there is in Krabi on the way to Koh Lanta. 6 wks might not be enough!
How about Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia all within 1 day of travelling(road)?

Toes in the water first before we make the big leap = she's already asking why 4 weeks lol......

Toes in the water first before we make the big leap = she's already asking why 4 weeks lol......

She doesn't sound that keen to relocate, if the length of the trip is an issue.

Diving in the Similans and Andaman sea is generally from November to April-May. Effectively no diving outside this period, at least to the major sites that people travel there for. Farther south of Phuket you’ll have more luck. The oceans are super rough, many stories of boats sinking and people dying out of the diving season.

All year round diving can be done in Koh Tao, on the eastern side of Thailand. The scene traditionally is very...backpacker and crazy. Depending on how you feel about that, it’s an option.
"Effectively no diving outside this period, at least to the major sites that people travel there for."
Not true. Diving at sites like King Cruiser, Racha Islands, Shark Point, Koh Bida Nok, Koh Bida Nai is year round.

"Effectively no diving outside this period, at least to the major sites that people travel there for."
Not true. Diving at sites like King Cruiser, Racha Islands, Shark Point, Koh Bida Nok, Koh Bida Nai is year round.
He would know better than me!

Maybe I should clarify and say no LIVEABOARD diving outside of those months?

Bumping this thread rather than starting my own... I'm coming to Phuket in late October, the plan is to stay for three months, working remotely 4-5 days a week and diving on the weekends. I already have one liveaboard booked, but otherwise I plan to do day trips and shore diving - I understand that Kata beach has pretty good macro.
What's the best area for a base of operations? Chalong/Rawai? Any point in staying further north, like Patong or Kamala, or will riding a bike back and forth several times a week kill any potential advantages of that, if there are any?
Also, what's the best way to look for a rental house there? I see a bunch of listings on Facebook, but those are impossible to filter and difficult to sift through one at a time, while various realtor sites that do have filtering seem to be showing pre-COVID prices that are several times higher than what I see on Facebook.

Back
Top Bottom