Where to Stay on GC? Who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shimon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
heading there in Nov for 3 quick days of diving. We are experienced. SMB seems like the place to stay for nightlife, etc. We will probably rent a car. But not exactly sure yet. Do we need to stay over on East End? Does it matter? Which is the best most accommodating dive shop? Not interested in any beginner diving......Need to rent full equipment besides mask.....

All depends on what you want, but the general consensus is that the diving is best on the north wall and east end. If you want to dive there, staying on the east end would be nice as the drive there from SMB can take 45 min - 1 hr+. I've driven to Rum Point from the south part of SMB, but I was really booking it.

On the east end, Ocean Frontiers (dive op) is very highly regarded.

As far as a car, I always like to have one because I like to drive around the island a lot and really see what it has to offer and what it's like in different areas. In theory, if you're only there for three days and only plan on diving east end, you might just want to get a ride to the hotel and stay on that side for meals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thx! So where do we stay on East End? Is there any thing to do at night there? Read about Kittiwake....is that worth it?

Thx! So where do we stay on East End? Is there any thing to do at night there? Read about Kittiwake....is that worth it?

Moritt's, The Reef, and Compass Point are the three I know of off-hand. You might try a condo if you prefer that route. Haven't stayed on East End myself, so I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of input. There are plenty of people on this board who routinely do, though, so you should have some answers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The East end has 2 resorts, I have stayed there 2 years ago - Morritts. Forget about night life though, it is a 30 mile drive back to the West End and you have to stop for chickens and dogs in the road. If diving is your primary, then the East End is THE place to be. From the old lighthouse all the way round the end to the North... NO traffic, you have the seas to yourself, great walls and fish.

I highly recommend Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point. They are a first rate dive-operator and their resort now has its own bar/grill called Eagle Rays. If you are only there for a quick trip, then you probably want to concentrate on the diving. They have full equipment rental and three boats. Max of 12 divers per boat and the best diving in the Caymans! You will need to rent a car (recommend Andy's) and the drive is about 45 minutes. There are more restaurants and nightlife now on the East End, but most of us go for the relaxation, commaradie with other divers, and of course, great diving. We are going the first of Oct for 2 weeks!

The East end has 2 resorts, I have stayed there 2 years ago - Morritts. Forget about night life though, it is a 30 mile drive back to the West End and you have to stop for chickens and dogs in the road. If diving is your primary, then the East End is THE place to be. From the old lighthouse all the way round the end to the North... NO traffic, you have the seas to yourself, great walls and fish.

Morritts, not Compass Point or The Reef? Do I need a car? Does each hotel have their own dive shop?

The Reef does not have a dive shop. Morritt's dive operator is done by Red Sail Sports. If you want a full service diver operator with an excellent reputation check out Home We have been going there for 12 years and now consider it our primary dive location.

Define nightlife.

IMO Compass Point is the best choice on the East End if diving is your priority. Certainly it's the most convenient of the the 3 main places to stay if you are diving with Ocean Frontiers onsite, especially if you want to do both the morning and afternoon boats. The units themselves are nice. There is no beach. The original pool was more designed for dive training and wasn't really a good place to hang out and relax, I don't know if that has changed at all with the restaurant opening - don't know if it is just a place people eat or has become a place to hang out (which was needed there.) They added some timeshare units across the road from the water and there is a somewhat nicer pool over there. They can have pretty good package deals with condo/diving/car, don't know if they offer it for 3 days.

I have also stayed at Morritt's and dove with Ocean Frontiers, but only because I had a timeshare to use there. It's fine though my last choice of the 3 places except maybe for the beach. I don't think the units are nearly as nice, and just don't like the atmosphere of the place as much. (There is a section called Morritt's Grand which I get the impression is nicer, but I haven't been in those.)

I have also stayed at the Reef and dove with Ocean Frontiers, simply because Compass Point had barely opened at the time. If someone is looking for a tropical resort rather than a dive resort I think it's the nicest of the 3 in that way, with a nice beach, pools on the beach, landscaping, etc. If there are non-divers along it's a good choice.

Morritt's and the Reef are largish timeshare resorts and have various bars, restaurants, and you will find happy hours and some music/entertainment at night. There are a few restaurants not too far away from these places, and some a bit further drive away. But no real party scene near there that I'm aware of.

Rent the car at the airport.. Get a car just big enough for your party. The gas prices are steep. There is a large grocery nearby. Get everything you need before you head to the East. Be prepared for the sticker shock for restaurant food. A dinner for 2 with a glass of wine will cost way more than a 2 tank dive for 2. No fast food available, unless you are into "jerk". There are a couple of places to eat all the way round to the North on the East side of the bay, but the "skeeters" will eat you alive. Ocean frontiers (South side) has a good "middle ground" place to stay and they are a good operation.

Back
Top Bottom