Where to stay in Puerto Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are looking for a trip in May to Puerto Vallarta. We really like the smaller hotels, but it looks like the price is right for the charter air + hotel all-inclusive packages. I would like suggestions on places to stay convenient to the dive shops. All help is appreciated!!!

Westin's Club Regina is really nice, not too far from the marina where there are some dive ops. In May the water will be pretty cold. I've only dived there twice, wasn't very impressed. Cozumel, Cancun and even Cabo are better IMO.

Most of the dive trips meet and leave from the marina. I would look into staying around there. The westin that is suggested is right across the street from the marina so you wont need a cab if you get picked up at the opequimar dry dock. Other resorts walking distance from the opequimar dry dock is the Mayan Palace, Mariott, the Embarcadero, howard johnsons.
If you choose to go with the tiny hotels, get one close to los muertos pier which is located in the romantic zone south of the city. its a quaint area, more of a feel for mexico than just the big resorts. lots of restaurants to choose from. some of the dive shops will pick up at los muertos if your diving los arcos, majahuitas or chimo.:wink:

For me personally I like Dreams (used to be Camino Real) in fact I liked it so much I got married there. PV really has 2 choices; Downtown and Nuevo Vallarta. The second is more like a "ya get there and stay there (resort oriented)" Where as downtown there is more stuff to do as its closer to everything. Dreams is more private and a little further south. Mismaloya is also a good one, if you go with Ocean Quest for diving you'll be departing from Mismaloya beach. They take a max of 6 divers. Have a great trip!!

We just got back from Puerto Vallarta (our 3rd time there) and we've always rented an individually-owned condo. There are so many great places to eat in Puerto Vallarta that you'd really be missing out by being roped into an all-inclusive.

If you want a memorable dinner with your husband, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a reservation at Hacienda San Angel (www.haciendasanangel.com). It was one of the best dining experiences we've had in a long time. I would make a reservation a week before you arrive in Mexico - it's a small boutique resort - I very cool place. The cab ride was 15-20 minutes from where we stayed, but the ambience & food were outstanding.

This last trip we rented a condo in the Shangri-La development. A fantastic place that's located directly across the street from the Marina (a lot of good restaurants in the Marina). We put in a day's worth of diving with Pacific Scuba and the cab ride to catch the boat was inexpensive.

I'm not sure if you're it's just you and your husband or you're traveling with another couple, but for what it's worth, we rented the condo in Shangri-La for $1500 for the week (2 bedrooms/2 full baths) directly from the owners - Katie & Mike Ragone (650) 255-1671.

Hope this helps - enjoy Puerto Vallarta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom