where to stay in Cabo San Lucas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlstubbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Normally I'm always diving when I travel to places where you can dive. But we are going with a group of non-divers and my wife is not able to dive at this time. Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a place to stay and enjoy Cabo San Lucas. There will be 6 - 8 people and we are looking for a place that is relatively nice and close to a beach. Possible condos? Walking or easy access to beach or in town activities?

Thanks,

John Stubbs

The Costa Real is right on the Marina with many rooms having a balcony view of the marina, and lands end. The dive shops are downstairs and all dive boats leave from the marina directly in front of the hotel. Non-divers have excellent access to everything else in downtown and there are lots of activities to do without even leaving the hotel.

Try Villa Del Palmar ( http://www.cabovillas.com/properties.asp?PID=28 ). That's not a link to their site, but it does give you some information. I've stayed there before. The room I had two bedrooms with king size beds, each had an adjoining bathroom. I believe the couch made a bed. They have a nice beach right in back of the hotel, and two large pools. Decent restaurants in the hotel, 10 minute walk into town or a short cab ride. Nothing fancy, but nice and functional.

We stayed at the Melia San Lucas. The hotel was nice, but undergoing renovations as of last October. The music was a little loud in the pool area, but otherwise a great place and right on the beach. 10-15 minute walk to town or a 5 minute drive.

We walked through the two Pueblo Bonito (Rose and Blanco) hotels and both were very nice as well and a little further down the beach. I personally would stay at one of the resorts on the beach as opposed to in town. Not sure about condo options, but I know some of the hotels have suites.

Be sure to visit "The Office" to hang out for drinks and food. If you like sushi, I would highly recommend Nick San in town. Sit at the sushi bar and ask the sushi chef for recommendations and if there is anything local that is fresh - there are some selections you will not hear about if you sit at a table.

Most of the diving in CSL is boat dives departing from the Marina. The former Plaza Las Glorias (now Costa Real) is a nice hotel right above the Marina. Unfortunately, no beaches at the Marina.

In town, some of the other nice waterfront hotels include the Solmar at Finisterra (nice beach but too much surf/current for swimming) & the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (a good walk up and down the hill to town; better to take the free PB shuttle bus. Same comments regarding beach as Finisterra).

There's a whole row of hotels/condo complexes along Medano beach, starting with the Hacienda, then the two Pueblo Bonito (Rose & Blanco), Melia San Lucas, the Club Cascadas condo, then, Villa Del Palmar and its sister property Villa Estancia. As you proceed logical North along Medano beach, you then get to the architectural monstrosity known as the Riu. The Riu is very new, and you might be able to snarf some really good specials (at the cost of listening to their timeshare presentation). The surf along Medano beach is almost always low, and most water sport activities (e.g. parasail, jetski, etc.) launch from Medano beach. There are three scuba outfitters that I know of who launch from Medano beach; Manta (I think), which launches from near the Pueblo Bonitos, and Cabo Acuadeportes, which is at the Hacienda. These are old, well known outfitters. The Riu has its own scuba outfitter (at least, on paper. They may be contracting with the divers in town).

With none of the above-mentioned hotels/resorts do you need a car (though depending on your vacation plans, you may want one). If my memory doesn't play tricks on me, the Pueblo Bonitos, Melia, Club Cascadas, VDP, and VLA offer rooms which are more condo-like than hotel-like (e.g. fridge, kitchenette), and you may choose to buy groceries and cook-your-own instead of cooking. For the Riu, cooking is fairly pointless since it's an all-inclusive resort.

As you head North towards San Jose Del Cabo (locals call it San Jose), you find a string of upscale condos or resort hotels, starting with Missiones Del Cabo, and ending at San Jose with the One-And-Only-Palmilla (there are more accommodations in San Jose, upscale and downscale). These all feature designer golf-courses, "5-star" architects, etc. The rooms (except maybe for the all-inclusives or the older properties) include kitchenettes. While these resorts may offer shuttles to town, I would consider a car a necessity. Many offer a choice of studio, 1BR, & 2BR (sleep 2, 4, and 6) accommodations. For 8, you may want to get 2 1BR's (depending on how friendly you are). We return to the Hilton, which is very family-friendly (not to say that the others aren't, but we really liked the Hilton's kids program).

There are a few houses for rent at Playa Santa Maria. Sorry, can't recall the web site, but quite upscale, and definitely on the beach. (Very nice beach too).

I like "www.allaboutcabo.com" as a pretty good website. I like Moon's guide to Cabo/Baja.

Nick-San does have good sushi, but my wife & I really like the new sushi chef at Solomon's Landing (right in front of Land's End Divers).

We think the pastry chef at the Sea Queen restaurant makes desserts that are better than anything we've had in the US, and rivals French & Austrian desserts.

We love the "Huachinango Entero" at the Fish House.

A day trip (or two) to San Jose, which is more historic, and to Todos Santos, which is quaint, is well worthwhile for non-divers.

If your idea of fun for nondivers is vegging out on a hammock all day, you might consider trying to find a beach house on the East Cape (Los Barrilles, La Ribera, etc. heading towards Cabo Pulmo). You'll have the beach all to yourself. (Downside: If you didn't bring or buy enough supplies, you've got a *LONG* schlep!)

Have fun!

Thanks so much for all the information. Really appreciate it. Now we must begin our search for a place to stay.

Thanks again!

John Stubbs

Great summary from hdtran. I would just add that if you are interested in diving at Cabo Pulmo on the east cape, Cabo Pulmo Resort has comfortable, nothing fancy bungalows. Nancy's restaurant is also quite good in Cabo Pulmo as well. There are a couple of resorts in Buena Vista that are also pleasant. Vista Sea Sport runs a good operation though abit expensive. If there are any deep sea fisherman in your group the east cape is very popular. The east cape is definately laid back and non tourist oriented.

I like San Jose for the Colonial Mexico/local small town atmosphere. The kind of sad news is that they are building a new marina in the estuary area. I've always liked that part of town and am unsure how the development will change it. There are a variety of tourist shops but it isn't as overwhelmed as Cabo San Lucas.

Cabo is definately a tourist trap type of town with lots of bar hopping opportunities. It can be very crowded when the cruise ships are in port. Medano Beach is a very happening beach though I find the hawkers tiresome. It's hard to just lay on the beach and read a book without constant interuptions. I usually divide up my time between the east cape and San Jose with a couple of trips into Cabo to dive the local sites. Good luck!

I stayed at Villa La Estancia in September 05. Really nice condo-style rooms. Full kitchen too. 10 minute walk from the harbor and dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom