Where to stay in Bonne Terre?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driebel

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm heading down to the Bonne Terre mine over president's day weekend, and wondered if anyone had advice on where to stay. This is my second trip down (last was Columbus day weekend, and I'm now completely hooked), and ?I stayed in the Super 8 in Bonne Terre itself. Egh, that place was gross. Some Canadian guys I met on that trip recommended I stay in Farmington from now on, so that's my plan.

Anyone have any experience with Either the Super 8 in Farmington or the Executive Inn? The Executive Inn is cheaper, but its got awful reviews. However the reviews are all old. Does anyone know if it's still a terrible place in 2015?

Thanks,
Dave

see my report here. At the time, I suggested the Super* where others stay. It's quite close to the mine.

I stayed in the railway carriage that the mine converted into a hotel room, it was quite comfortable and a lot of fun.

Hi all,

First, Tajkd, that's a great write up and description for diving at Bonne Terre. This round, I decided to stay at the Executive Inn in Farmington, MO, 15 mins south of Bonne Terre proper. Staying at the lodging run by the dive shop itself comes to effectively $60/night. They also charge a substantial single occupancy fee, which I was not interested in paying. The Executive Inn is $40/night.

Farmington has a few more dining options than Bonne Terre itself (which has a Subway, a Hardees, a Huddle House, and a terrible "pub", period). Farmington has a few ~Applebee's level places. The Executive Inn itself is a bit grotty. The staff I dealt with was pretty rude, but my room itself was reasonably clean and adequate. The hallways (but not my room) stank of old cigarette smoke, but I found the same at the Super 8 in Bonne Terre.

Overall, if you're heading down to Bonne Terre, the diving is top-notch, but the town itself leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't say I'm enthusiastic about the Executive Inn, but it's cheap and... acceptable.

Cheers,
Dave

I stayed in the railroad car only because, when or where would I ever get a chance to sleep in a rail car again? I enjoyed diving there, but carrying a set of steel doubles up those stairs was pure misery

Back
Top Bottom