Where to stay and dive in Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Jackie,
Happy to hear you're coming our way next week. Send me a message and I'll give you my cell number / email. I live in Keauhou (5 miles South of Kona). I've been diving here on the big island for over 30 years.
I've got some buddies (former students) that are always looking for someone (and an excuse) to dive with. If I'm off work, I'll pick up some tanks at one of the dive shops I work at and any gear you might need. And... dive with you.
Gear rental (with tanks) will run you $30 - $80 (a day) depending on what you need.
Two step is one of our favorite shore dive spots. Depends on the surf and what you want to see.
Manta Ray night dive is a must and one of the top 3 dives in the world.
KDC (Kona Diving Company) & Jack's are reputable dive shops. A few others in town. Jack's has the Founder of the Manta Pacific Foundation (Google it), so might be the place to do the Night dive with.
Aloha,
Tim

I am planning a last minute trip to Hawaii next week. I'll be spending the bulk of my time on Oahu visiting a friend, but I am planning a little excursion alone over to Kona for a few days (April 25th-28th ish) because I really want to do the Manta dive, and a few 2 tank am dives would be nice too.

Are there any affordable resorts/hotels that have an attached dive shop in Kona? Or offer shore diving? Or even an all inclusive with diving? I've been looking at the recommended dive shops on the board- Big Island Divers, Jacks Diving Locker, and Kona Diving Company, but I wasn't really planning to rent a car the whole time to go back and forth from my hotel to the shop. What is the best way to do a few days of diving alone in Kona on a budget?

Would I be better off in Maui for what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any advice!

Jackie

I was diving on Kona two weeks ago. I used Kona Diving Company, they were a class operation and the brownies between dives are to die for. I am very pleased with the service I received from them, which included setting up and cleaning my gear for five days. Which for me is surprising because I usually set up my own gear and they gave me that option. I have friends on Kona and they dive exclusively with KDC

In any case, the manta dive is a must! I have dived with mantas in Mexico at Socorro off the tip of baja on a liveaboard. The KDC manta dive was a close second. With Kona Diving Company the activity is an afternoon dive and a night manta dive, a real nice combination.

I stayed at the Kona Magic Sands condos which is just past mile marker 4 south of Kona on Alii. Its on the water, so you better like falling to sleep to the sound of pounding surf (I do). One of the two parks on either side of the condo provide great snorkeling and a beach diving entry point. I would also recommend the luau at the Mariott in Kona and a rental from Kona jet skis if you are into these type of activities. And check out the local marketplace on Alii in town.

Diversteve, thanks for all the great info. I'm planning a trip to Kona very soon. Also, I went to Molokini with Scuba Shack in Kihei in November of 2011 and was very happy with the whole trip and their dive shop in general. I had not yet settled on who to do the manta ray night dive with so your information is very much appreciated. I will also be doing some beach diving but I'm going to be renting a car. I found the beach diving around Kihei to be very easy although not necessarily spectacular. Lots of morays and turtles though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom