Where to start?! (just moved here)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, just moved out here from Pensacola, Florida. Have 200+ dives in the gulf and ~50 dives in caves (only intro cave) but have never dove in anything colder than a Florida cave and definitely don't know what to expect for conditions out here in California.

I'm a python programmer for SurveyMonkey.com and can't wait to meet everyone out here!

My base questions are:

1. Do any of you guys dive wet? Or does everyone go dry (I prefer wet, only dive dry on long cave dives, but probably will change my tune once I hit the cold water :wink:)
2. What are the recommended dive shops to hit up around here? Especially for getting my regulators serviced.
3. Best shores dives?
4. Anyone spearfish around here?
5. Any monthly/weekly dive meetups?

Any other tips on getting started diving out here would be great!

1. Dry 400 to 500g undies
2. Anywater Sports and Diver Dans
3. Point Lobos
4. Buy fish at the store
5. meetup.com

Hi,
diving in Spring Mill Pond in Island Lake state park is free and good practice to get used to MI in a wet suit, many dive there in wet suits after May. Plenty of good shops around, Divers Inc in Ann Arbor, Sea the World in farmington Hills, Snorkel and Dive, believe it is called on 10 mile and Haggerty in Farmington, etc. Great Lakes warm up by August and through Labor day is good for wet suits, also quarries in Ohio are warm in summer for wet suits.
Maureen

I dive with a 7mm wetsuit, it's been fine for me, but a lot of divers like drysuits. I'll second Point Lobos as a great shore dive. You just need to get your reservations in pretty early as they fill up quickly. In all honesty, you can't go wrong in Monterey. Every dive I've done has been great. Things get a little murky at time, especially at the breakwater by San Carlos Beech. Dive shops really depend where you are, but I usually go to Central Valley Scuba in Tulare, but then again, I'm coming from the Fresno area. Keep an eye on the boards here and you can usually find someone to dive with, it's a pretty active community.

Welcome to California! Where in California are you?

Some people dive wet here, but I think that many find it more comfortable to dive dry. If you decide to dive wet, consider a 7 or 8mm wetsuit with a good hood, and warm gloves and boots.

If you ever pass through Irvine, stop in and say hello!

1. I dive both wet and dry here and prefer wet. I advise a 7mm with a 7mm hooded vest (thermos of hot soup and a beanie when you get out)
2. I would add Aquatic Discovery in Santa Clara for shops. they are flexable and have a very affordable rental
3. San Carlos beach/ breakwater is a good dive spot theat is excellent for those new to diving the area
4. Yes, spearfishing is popular but there are many regulations and restricted areas. I advise getting comfortable with the local diving before adding a spear into the equation
5. no comment

enjoy and be safe

I arrived in San jose from Vermont last February and have been learning the dive culture and community here. Pacific Coast Scuba is near my home and it is in northern Morgan Hills, a lovely drive. They also operate the Beach Hopper II Dive Boat so I used that as my introduction to Monterey Bay diving. My 7 mm wetsuit doesn't really keep me warm. I have learned to tolerate the cold pretty well on the first dive but need to pour hot water down my suit and drink hot fluids to recover my core temperature before the second dive. I'll get a dry suit for sure.

There are some dive clubs in San Jose. I don't know much about them.

I dove Point Lobos and Monastary Beach so far and am looking for buddies willing to introduce me to other shore sites.

-Kim

Diving Wet or Dry is a personal comfort thing. Minimum comfort for multiple dives is a 7mm single suit w/ 6mm hooded vest. The scientific divers who spend a whole day on a frigid aluminum whaler sport 10mm two piece custom skin in suits from Heatwave or Otter Bay Wetsuits.

Your usual recreational divers are a good mix between 2 piece 7mm suits or dry suits.
Hood should be 5mm minimum
Booties 6mm minimum
Gloves 3mm and good fitting. If you have poor circulation then and only then would I recommend exchanging dexterity for 5mm gloves.

Recommended dive shops depends on your housing location. There are plenty of good dive shops from Santa Clara to Monterey.

Which brings us to dive sites. It's either Monterey, or well north of Mendicino. If not that then you're down in So Cal; San Diego or Santa Barbara.
A good starter for a shakedown dive would be Breakwater/San Carlos Beach/Coast Guard Jetty (all the same site, in Monterey). Stay away from Monastery Beach until you have an experience local diver show you the site. If you do happen to visit it, read the big warning sign stuck in the sand and you'll understand why I mention not to dive there yet.

Monthly dive meet ups are usually through your local dive shop or via a shout out here. Usually if you give us a week in advance one of us will be able to pull our butts in for a dive.

I should clarify that I hired a local Dive Master who introduced me to Monastary Beach and Point Lobos. I agree they are not to be done without some experienced with you.

I would like to Dive on Sunday from shore in Monterey if anyone would like to join me. I have a Prius and can include up to 2 other divers with me. Or just meet up somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom