Where to start - help pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am well aware that training is a must. It would be potential suicide to venture deeper, and longer, without some knowledge of what you may encounter before hand. Not to mention the skills required to survive the trip down and back ! Where we differ is I wasn't able to hand over 4-500 dollars. I bought the TDI Decompression and Advanced Nitrox manuals before I ventured deeper. I was fortunate enough to find a patient guy who took me under his wing and showed me what I was doing wrong and why. I studied all winter, practiceing many skills from reel work to gear familiarization, foul water procedures, trim, and task loading and more with all the new equipment that's required for where your headed , all at a responsible depth. It was alot of work and there are still situations today when I'll STOP, THINK, and ACT. That guy is now my deeper dive partner, I know him like a book as he does me. If you have the money, get the training by all means. If you don't have the scratch, start surfing GUE sites or some accredited agency that shows you how to configure your gear and why! Don't cut corners, talk to others, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Read every respectible source of information you can get your hands on. Just remember, GOD didn't write it ! This is an exciting place to be, BUT , you WILL find trouble sooner or later doing this . You have to be, mentally prepared, you have to have the equipment to survive, as well as the skills. It goes with out saying, excersize common sense! This could go on for ever, sufice to say, there is alot to this. It shouldn't be entered lightly.
Wreck/Tec

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
I am well aware that training is a must. It would be potential suicide to venture deeper, and longer, without some knowledge of what you may encounter before hand. Not to mention the skills required to survive the trip down and back ! Where we differ is I wasn't able to hand over 4-500 dollars....

Tech classes can be expensive but not as expensive as tech diving. My las delivery of gas was $500 or more. That gas is only good for a couple of weekends. A 1/2 day dive charter will run over $100 per person. IMO, if one can't pay $500 for training they won't be doing much technical diving anyway.

I'm also based in Singapore ... I would agree with the recommendation of taking IANTD tech training with JC on Tioman. He really knows what he is teaching and is doing the dives himself so the training is backed up with real experience.

Its an experience simply to spend time with him talking about some of the diving he's done and the people he's dived with (JJ, Tom Mount and others).

Another excellent alternative is Simon Liddiard of Blue Marlin Diving on Lombok (www.diveindo.com). He also covers all levels of IANTD and rebreathers.

If you want to go down to GUE/DIR route, there is a series of courses running in Simgapore in late March / early April.

DIR Fundamentals 24 to 26 March S$1050
Tech 1 ... 28 March to 1 April S$3380
Tech 2 ... 2 to 6 April S$5700

Check out the details on www.halcyonsingapore.com.sg

If you want details of who to avoid for tech training in Singapore send me a PM

Thanks for the Singapore related contacts / recommendations. I also found about DiveRiau in Batam who do IANTD courses. Has anyone taken courses with them ?
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom