Where to spend a dive vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go to QR, Mexico, perfect underwater and above. You can dive the beautiful reefs of Cozumel and the Cenotes, which is an amazing and different experience. You should visit Tulum beach and Bacalar if you have time. I lived there for a couple of years, let me know if you need more details :)

Cozumel - look up resort Secrets as dive ops/boat leave from there and you never have to leave the resort (i.e. pools, bars, restaurants, disco, etc)

Cancun - less interesting diving but more nightlife and Tulum ruins

I like Trailboss' suggestion of Loreto. I've never dived Hawaii or Cozumel so I can't comment on them. I used to spend part of my winters working on an eco-cruise ship based out of nearby La Paz and enjoyed diving all the offshore islands as far north as Loreto. Of course I'm well past my 20s and 30s so topside attractions were less important.

W
The Big Island would be another good choice, diving is as good, maybe a little better in some areas. A memorable dive is with the spinner dolphins that frequent south Kona. Some shore diving but often over rougher entries. The number one memorable dive there has to be the Kona Manta Night Dive - it's on many top 10 dives in the World lists. As OW you can do it, they use a lot of lights to attract the plankton (thus the Manta';s) and they have so much control that they'll veer off at the last second leaving you to feel their wake - it's a singularly unique experience.

On a non-dive day visit Volcanoes National Park. Akaka Falls is worth a look also, you can do both in one day. One consideration is that inland the Big Island is a lot higher than the coastline so for example on the saddle road to Hilo no-flight restrictions apply since it climbs to over 6000'. There's also the observatories at 13,000' if that's of interest.It is the big island so a lot of driving between destinations in some cases.

Aloha! I live on Hawai'i Island (AKA the "Big Island"). Given your choices I'd recommend the Big Island for sure. I've dove most of the main Hawaiian Islands and Hawai'i is still my favorite. Plus we have the world famous manta dive as @diversteve mentioned. We also have some of the best coffee in the world, great local breweries, a winery, sooooo many great hikes, Volcanoes National Park of course (the lava is flowing right now!), the Mauna Kea Summit (can see 85 of the 88 constellations from here, amazing stars). Need I say more? :wink: If you're coming out this way, feel free to drop me a message for more tips on places to go/dive/eat/drink/etc! (info@balanceddivers.com)

Cabo San Lucas is very close and easy to get to from the West Coast.

The night life in Cabo was fun but I was very disappointed in the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom