• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Where to retire in Thailand and Dive?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Skulmoski, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Skulmoski

Skulmoski Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Where would you recommend I retire to dive in Thailand. I will retire in a few years and I am considering purchasing property. I have only dived in Koh Tao so I am not widely traveled in Thailand. Where is a dive friendly retirement community?

Thanks for your advice.

GJS

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    FYI..4M Baht = $115,473 US$

3. stevenl

stevenl Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Best diving is at the Andaman side of Thailand, with from Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi and to a lesser extend Lanta year round diving. Have a look at those areas, depending on how you want to live and what kind of environment and amenities you like.

Skulmoski likes this.
  4. lord khram

lord khram Loggerhead Turtle

If you are a serious diver and are set on Thailand as the destination for your retirement. Without question the Andaman (West) coast offers by far the best Thailand has to offer.

Skulmoski likes this.
  5. Bubble Junky

Bubble Junky Course Director

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I would say Koh Lanta. It's my favourite Thai island, and the diving is good. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are inaccessible for a few months of the year, but dive centres still head to Phi Phi for diving at that time.

6. Wingy

Wingy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I lived in Krabi many many years er decades ago - I still love the place even though it has developed rapidly - Ao Nang has kept its laid back vibe as much as anyplace can in 30 years. Handy to dive the usual suspect spots.

7. decompression

decompression Instructor...seriously...

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I really liked Koh Lak, smaller and laid back, access to day dives and similan live aboards. Great restaurants and little shops.

8. stevenl

stevenl Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yes, Khao Lak is nice, but dont forget that there is no diving at all 1/2 the year and the place is almost dead that 1/2 year.

9. red_barbarian

red_barbarian Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    OP you will need to describe what else is important to you besides just quality of diving. How often would you like to actually dive? Are you on a budget or can you afford anything? What kind of visa are you thinking about? Do you prefer a city environment or more rural? How much hassle are you willing to put up with over visa runs/90 day reporting? Do you care if you are around an ex-pat community if so is there a particular Nationality group you would prefer to be around, etc.

wildjetskier and Skulmoski like this.
  10. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

A mutual friend of ours and I were there in 2005 just months after the tsunami. The diving in the Similans was great. R. was sunbathing on the beach one morning and someone came up to her and said if you knew what was under that sand you would not be so happy sunbathing. It had a very sad vibe to it that year. I intend to go back though and I am glad it has bounced back from that horrible event.

decompression likes this.