Where to move to in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are considering moving to Florida. We love sailing and plan on a 35'-40' sail boat and I love diving, my 11 y/o daughter is getting into the diving too. So, somewhere with decent sailing for 5'-6' draft boat and places to go anchor within a days sail, reasonable diving within a few miles drive, a cost of living similar to metro Atlanta. I would like to be able to run to the beach ~ 5 miles, and not completely overrun with tourists. Does such a place exist?

Try down in the keys, way down in Key Largo and other cays south. Kinda long drive back up into civilization but if you got a 40 footer, then who cares.

I suggested the middle keys to my wife, but she demurred saying its too far from civilization...exactly the reason I like the idea. however, we do need to put the little one in school for 6 more years so we need a decent school system as well.

liveaboard the 40 footer, home school, live offshore?

We are planning on a liveaboard cruising sabatical but after my daughter goes to college. This is a step in that direction. She's not interested in the home school thing.

I've been saving up for 18-20 years now for a 65' sailboat. Looking into the Macgregor 65 specifically. My daughter is into Med school so I can plan on living and working off the boat down in the southern carib. near Granada. (Med school is on the island there)
I wanted to run a small laid back dive charter business off of it. Nothing shorter than 7 days and nothing longer than 14 with only 2-3 couples at a time. Strictly diving and snorkling. No windsurfers, no wave runners, no kayaks...just diving.
Looks like I'm headed that way in late 2008 early 2009. Have the web site about 1/2 done and working on the financial end currently.
I planned on selling off all the mainland items, real estate, cars, toys, etc. and living off the interest until the business supports itself. Still planning and closing all the loopholes...but I can relate with your plan.
good luck.

similar plan. have the $ in the bank ready to go, now just waiting on the daughter. we plan on a 2 year carribean cruise followed be a return to "working life" where can can work 6 months of the year at something we enjoy. one idea was about a 65' sailboat to do high end crewed charters. high end meaning white table cloth, fine wines, gourmet foods, and 2-4 people at a time. we will cruise in something that we can single-hand, and which has a draft shallow enough to be able to do some Bahamas and Keys cruising. that means probably a 37 - 39' unless I end up being able to spring for a catamaran. above that length, the strength required to manage the sails and rigging is too high and I don't want to go to powered winches. 65' is a bit big for us to cruise in as a couple.

Sounds like you're looking for it all in Florida and I think you may have to do some compromising. I've been looking for property along the same lines as you, although I don't have to worry about a school system

Key Largo is only one hour away from Miami, don't know if that's too far for your wife. I don't know what the cost of living in metro Atlanta is but you can expect to pay about $330/sq. ft. for decent housing in Key Largo. I have also looked in the Fort Myers/Reddington Beach area on the Gulf coast of Florida. Cost of living much more reasonable there. I would check out that whole stretch from Tampa on down to Reddington beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom