Where to mount the Gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there, I'm new here.

I've recently found an entry-level 3D online modelling software, Tinkercad and have been Tinkering ever since. I'm into scuba diving and I've long wanted to design a GoPro mount for the cylinder to give a 3rd person view of me while I'm swimming about enjoying life underwater. (Think a less-sexy Lara Croft!)

I wanted to run it past you guys to see what you think. I've attached 2 screenshots, because as you can see, the mount I've designed is collapsible, to save space in my GoPro bag.

I've done the maths (Pythag) so each side is perfectly lengthed to create a right-angled triangle, with the hypotaneuse (long edge) is facing down my body, towards my feet, so that the camera view won't be obstructed.

I've used a Pythag triple, so the arms measure 3", 4", 5". This was done for 2 reasons: a) It was easier to desine using these measurements and b) I don't want it sticking too far up from my cylinder so that it doesn't catch on wildlife/coral/divers.

As this is my first GoPro mount that I've designed, I've had to go on deimensions I've found online for the actual hinges. I've settled on approx 3mm for each prong as well as the gap in between.
I have actually shaved off .25mm from the middle prong of the 3-pronged-hinge, and left the 2-pronged-hinge at 3mm for the gap and prongs.

I'm going to get the pieces 3D-printed by a local service I've found on 3DHubs.com, either in ABS plastic or in resin, though I'll probably go for ABS as it seems to be a bit more hard-wearing, even if it's not so detailed. In terms of mounting it to the tank, I will use 2 headstraps, with the over-the-top strap removed from each one and glue the plastic bits of each of them together, at the correct length of course. I would join them using a seperate piece of plastic and either a hot glue gun, superglue or even some sort of epoxy, whatever lasts longest in prolonged exposure to seawater. For the hinges that won't be attached to either the camera, or the strap, I will put a short length of 5mm acrylic rod (the holes are 5.5mm) and glue it in place.
I would probably place it nearer the top of the tank, near to where the strap of the BCD jacket goes round it.

Does anybody have any advice for me in terms of the design from a functional point of view as well as from whether they think it would actually get a good shot on the camera please?

I look forward to your feedback, good or bad!

Folded.PNG Unfolded.PNG

Attachments

• Folded.PNG
    Folded.PNG
    115.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Unfolded.PNG
    Unfolded.PNG
    93.3 KB · Views: 73
Hey guys, I wanted to get your thoughts on the best place to mount a gopro for diving. Im trying to stay away from a head strap or wrist strap and things a like as I want to have more perspective of the diver. I was thinking about putting an adhesive mount to my tank so I could get myself in view. Has anyone tried this? I havent seen any videos yet but I think it would look alright. Also how do you think the adhesive would fair while underwater?

I would suggest to use a Gopole. I just connected it to my BCD and it worked like a charm. Its buoyant also. So in case you lose it, it goes up.

I used the Gopole and Flip 4 with the DIVE FIlter and worked fine. Max depth was 22metres :)

I have been using the Gopro Jaws Clamp Mount. I clip it on my shoulder strap when not in use or filming. The clamp works as a handle too. I even leave it clipped on my shoulder backing rolling in and climbing on the boat without issue.

I've used a monopod and agree that it allows you to get closer and do selfies... however, I find the shots and videos to be shaky.

Recently used a tray and find the shots to be significantly more steady, specially on video. Have lights coming soon, so am hoping that makes the videos even better

Attaching the camera to your tank sounds like fun, but I suspect the footage would become boring quick, unless you were surrounded by sharks.

In your hand, on a pole or some such device, will allow you to actually see and know and frame what you are shooting.

You can also start/stop and change shooting modes properly.

But you probably know all this.

i saw a person with their gopro mounted on the shoulder strap of their bcd just above armpit level. is worked very well as it allowed hands free operation, avoided the swinging from a head mount and generally was pointed in the proper direction.

i have no idea what the brand of the mount was.

I would suggest to use a Gopole. I just connected it to my BCD and it worked like a charm. Its buoyant also. So in case you lose it, it goes up.

I used the Gopole and Flip 4 with the DIVE FIlter and worked fine. Max depth was 22metres :)

great video love the fish ball

Please take a look at the MAKO modular tray and light system. Our "sand spikes" allow you to set the camera down and get super stable and clear video. We offer a complete turn key solution with tray, arms, lights and even filters.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

Back
Top Bottom