Where to mount the Gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get your thoughts on the best place to mount a gopro for diving. Im trying to stay away from a head strap or wrist strap and things a like as I want to have more perspective of the diver. I was thinking about putting an adhesive mount to my tank so I could get myself in view. Has anyone tried this? I havent seen any videos yet but I think it would look alright. Also how do you think the adhesive would fair while underwater?

Adhesive may be somewhat tricky. I know the 3M stuff that the mounts come equipped with is not the greatest when submerged. The only issue you may have with a tank mount is a lot of exhaust hitting the lens. I know it has been an issue with most of the head strap mounts I've seen used but the tank may be far enough back it wouldn't be an issue. Look at this thread for different mounting ideas: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/413004-show-me-your-mount.html The extendable pole is a good option that helps with stability and you can film yourself from a variety of angles.

You can either mount it in front of a scooter or I would recommend making a rig out of PVC so you can have a stable platform. If you mount it to your head it looks like crap.

Heres what I think Im going to do. Im going to design a strap mount to wrap around the tank itself so I dont have to have to worry about the adhesive failing. Ill probably just modify a chest mount a bit.

I've tried many mounts - a monopod/pole is my fav. without doubt.

I've tried the standard headmount - but it just gets in the way of your mask (and you need to tie the headmount to something - in case it falls off or you need to remove your mask).

I then tried the GoPro attached to the top of an old mask (using a screw and tripod mount). This was more successful but I found that I move my head around far too much - it's not good for filming a whole dive - but fine if you want to cut/edit. Unfortunately this broke my mask strap on the third dive when there was some current (that was an interesting one... luckily I was only @ about 12m...)

Using a monopod is very versatile as you can swing the camera around both ways - so you can shoot yourself, or rest it on your shoulder behind you. This gives an interesting perspective. You can also put it to the side of you and film yourself and your buddy or show the whole group just hanging about together on a line doing a safety stop. When doing this I find that people start to act for the camera & do buoyancy exercises to show off etc... it's fun!

Experiment as much as you can with different mounts. You learn something new every time :)

Check out this mount it could be your solution.

[video=youtube;9_c1VBTxKPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c1VBTxKPw[/video]

right now i use a relatively cheap monopod (XShot which is just around 24USD) for my two cameras. this allows me to zoom my camera closer to my subject without scaring them off. also, with a small tilt I can have selfies at whatever I angle i want. ;P the only problem you will have are shake issues when the pod is fully extended. im fine with it though.

imho, you will have control issues when you mount your gopro in your tank as you wouldn't know if it is recording, or if it is at a proper angle, etc. it will be very difficult to compose your shots if you can't see the camera from where its mounted.

anyway, these are screen captures of some of my vids for your reference:

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 2.36.38 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-04-16 at 2.38.11 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-04-16 at 2.38.37 PM.jpg

link of my vids here: Ramuel Derige - YouTube

Hey guys, I wanted to get your thoughts on the best place to mount a gopro for diving. Im trying to stay away from a head strap or wrist strap and things a like as I want to have more perspective of the diver. I was thinking about putting an adhesive mount to my tank so I could get myself in view. Has anyone tried this? I havent seen any videos yet but I think it would look alright. Also how do you think the adhesive would fair while underwater?

Here's a link to a video I made using the QuikPod Monopod... It works for me!

Diving in Cozumel edit 2.. extended version- 1080p.wmv - YouTube

Here's a link to a video I made using the QuikPod Monopod... It works for me!

Diving in Cozumel edit 2.. extended version- 1080p.wmv - YouTube

I also have used this monopod here and highly recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1. you can get very close to sealife with the camera 2. you can do self shots 3. it folds up compactly when you want it to.

Here is the version that I have (non-stainless and rusts a bit, but not a huge issue for me): Amazon.com: Quik Pod DSLR Monopod: Camera & Photo

There is also a stainless version no, although for twice the price...: Amazon.com: Sealife Aquapod Underwater Monopod, Black SL913: SEALIFE: Electronics
Here is some footage done with that monopod:

[video=vimeo;63139361]http://vimeo.com/63139361[/video]

[video=vimeo;49982658]http://vimeo.com/49982658[/video]

Back
Top Bottom