where to mount a whistle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought one of those DAN safety kits, with the mirror, whistle, glowstick and SMB. I'm wondering what to do with my whistle. It's pretty small, so I'm hesitant to put it in my BC pocket because if I were trying to get to it underwater, I worry it might just fall out. But, there doesn't seem to be a good way to mount it so that I could actually use it in an emergency. Where/how does everyone else mount it? Do people keep it in a pocket? Thanks

Mine is zip tied to the inflator hose where it is out of the way yet close enough to my mouth that I can easily use it if needed.

That's what most people replied to past scubaboard threads I saw. I should have mentioned, I have my knife mounted there (preference, I don't like it on my leg) so i can't put it on the hose.

I also saw that some people use bungee and put it on a d ring--doesn't it float up and increase your chances of getting entangled if you do that?

I have a whistle in my wetnotes, that are in my pocket. When I don't take the wetnotes, the whistle is attached to my sausage and then rolled up with it.

Some BCs have a whistle that is zip-tied to the inflator hose. You could also put a small bolt snap on it and tether it inside your pocket. I might be paranoid, but everything that I put into my pockets is tethered to a gear loop that is tied to my drysuit.

I believe the new DAN SMB has a pocket at the bottom for that stuff.

I keep mine on a cord in the pocket of my BC attached to a clip(my slate is at end of the same cord). The cord is long enough to allow me to use the whistle without removing it from clip. So if I get the dropsies while using whistle or slate things just dangle rather than drop.

akscuba:
That's what most people replied to past scubaboard threads I saw. I should have mentioned, I have my knife mounted there (preference, I don't like it on my leg) so i can't put it on the hose.

Unless your knife is larger than any I've ever seen, yes you can.

I have mine ziptied to the top left D-ring on my Brigade. At first I just used the split ring to attach it but I added the zip tie to give my some more slack. I guess a little bit of cave line or something would be a even better option.

Near the end of the inflator hose works pretty well as you know that's something you should always be able to get to your mouth. Some BCs even come with a whistle already attached there. If it's too floppy when only connected on one end, putting a small rubber band around it to keep it down can help. Or a loose zip tie that you and tuck the other end under.

If you have a knife on there that would prevent adding a whistle, I'd think it would otherwise interfere with using the hose and the manual inflator.

Thanks guys! I think I'll try trying it off in a pocket, that seems like a nice way to keep it out of my way, and I won't have to worry about dropping it.

If you don't wan't to put it on your inflator hose, how about on a retractor or coil lanyard connected to a D-ring or carabiner?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom