Where to live in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sanur is where I would live!! Definitely dive with Underwater Tribe (Mike Veitch) if you can. They take great care of their customers!
:)

We bought and renovated a villa in Canggu about four years ago, and y'all are right...things have really changed. I think from an investment standpoint I could not have done better, but we are not sure it is where we will want to live when I finish in Jakarta.

I do like Sanur close to the beach, but any further out I might as well be in Denpassar. There is also a creepy, drunken, old retired guy side to Sanur that rubs me the wrong way.

If I was working in Canggu I would live a bit north- Pererenan and a bit further. Still quiet and far away from the heart of the hipsters at Deus, Le Breeza, and all that silliness.

We are going to look at some properties around Candidasa and PadangBai in a few weeks. Not sure if that is where we will end up, but we like the idea of some land, a bunch of dogs, and a lack of surf culture...although I like surfing. Sigh.

One thing for sure, Bali is the land of compromise.

There is also a creepy, drunken, old retired guy side to Sanur that rubs me the wrong way.
This ... :giggle: I have spent a few weeks in Sanur and this can definitely be true. It really depends on what night you go to Casablancas. Choose wisely....

I do like Sanur close to the beach, but any further out I might as well be in Denpassar. There is also a creepy, drunken, old retired guy side to Sanur that rubs me the wrong way.
You have to get away from the dodgy bars on Danau Poso Matt. :rofl3:

Ha! That or maybe I somehow attract every single taxi and ojek driver in Sanur to stop me every five seconds while walking Jl Tamblingam in front of the Hyatt to take me to "...pretty girls, boss." That never happens in Canggu. Hassled for transport? Sure? Constantly badgered for prostitution? Only in Sanur.

Hi, hoping to get some advice on where to live in Bali

I just moved here for work. My office is in Canggu but not really liking the vibe there. I was hoping it would be more laid back but even with COVID it's still pretty busy. I lived in a remote area in the Philippines for a while and I got used to things being chilled out and quiet. I do appreciate the convenience of Canggu but I don't really need all of it. A couple of nice restaurants, bars, and a few places to listen to music is all I need. Also I'm not much of a surfer and don't really want to learn either.
I do want to dive as much as possible tho. I only need to be in the office a couple times a week so I'm thinking anything within a 30-45min drive from Canggu and the airport would be fine.

Anyone of you people live on the eastern side of Bali? Sanur or Nusa Dua maybe? What's life like over there? Is it a good place to live for a diver or it doesn't make much difference given that the best dive sites are further up north?

I'm gonna go check the neighborhood this weekend but I'd love some insider's perspective.

Thanks a lot

Congrats on your move to Bali.

I think Sanur would be a good choice. The location is good with pretty direct routes to the airport & Canggu. Also there are a lot of good dive shops in Sanur, some even sell everything e.g compressors, tanks, all gear
The best thing about Sanur is the fast boats to Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan where the best diving in Bali is.
If you're ever really keen on diving midweek, you could finish work go to Sanur, catch the last evening boat to Nusa Penida, do a night dive & stay overnight, then get the first boat back to Sanur @ 7am. You could do all that for around US$70. The boat ride takes about 25-40 minutes, depending on sea conditions

In the +70 times I've been to and years I've stayed in Bali, I've never been to Canggu & not the slightest bit interested in going, but, I heard there's a lot of traffic there, but probably less traffic now because less visitors there

Good luck!

Who runs night dives there?

Octopus Dive, & Reeflex Divers

Octopus Dive do their night dive @ SD/Pura Ped.
And Reeflex Divers night dive @ Crystal Bay. Both are shore dives. I rate both centres very highly, very professional & accommodating, easy to communicate with.

I rate both night dive sites very highly also. I can't wait to do them again

Crystal Bay is the site I've dived the most, dozens of times, but the 2 nights I dived there in 2 different months were New Moon nights, with the high slack tide perfectly timed. Making it extra special wading through the water under the bright moonlight, it was so cool to see Crystal Bay in the night like that.

I highly recommend seeing Nusa Penida underwater @ night

Thanks mate, the mob I dived with when I was there didn't do night dives. I'll definitely do some next time, if we can ever travel again.

No worries mate :wink:

I myself didn't know about night dives in Nusa Penida until last year. As soon as I found out, I booked the night dive for that very same day.

I hope we can travel soon. If the PM had his way, internal borders would've been opened months ago. But like what another member posted, there are still thousands of Australians overseas that are finding it near impossible to return home. Everything will sort itself out in due time

Back
Top Bottom