Where to keep SPG on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting approach, JesperS. Seems simple and slick, but a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1. What kind of tank(s) have you dove this configuration with? Actually, what was the service pressure of these tanks? I'm wondering if this configuration would work better for lower pressure tanks (e.g., 2,450 psig, relatively flexible HP hose), and not so well for higher pressure tanks (e.g. 3,500 psig, very stiff HP hose). Any thoughts?

So far we have only been in the water a few times, mostly with AL80's, and once with small steel tanks. Both the aluminum and steel tanks were just over 3000 PSI when full. The HP hoses that we use are rated at....well, that I can't see or remember, but they are stamped to not exceed 5000psi, and are fairly stiff. This doesn't end up mattering much as it doesn't really have to flex much, I just route it with the corrugated hose.

2. Your power inflator and your SPG would seem to occupy the same real estate. Do things get too crowded at this location? Do these two items tend to get in each other's way?

You are correct, they are currently clumsily occupying the same chunk of space. I think that my solution to this might be multi-fold in the end: Slightly shorter or longer HP hose to get it a little further away from the inflator + switching to smaller gauges (I got 2.5", I think the 1.5" would have been just fine). This is my only complaint with the current setup, and wouldn't have been an issue if I had thought on the length of the hose for a little longer before buying.

3. One approach for carrying a pony bottle would use this location to anchor the regulator end of the pony bottle. Do you think things would *really* be too crowded at this location if a pony bottle were to be carried this way? And, do you think things would be too confusing if the pony bottle regulator were wearing a (its own) SPG on a 6" hose?

As I have yet to carry extra gas, I can not answer this question definitively. I do not believe it would cause any issues though (especially once I get the hose length just right), but I would need to strap on a pony to know for sure.

What I can tell you is that I picked this up from my instructor, who is a cave diver. Their team used the standard 24" connected to the left hip d-ring, until one day one of the team members came up with this solution, and they all switched over. I don't think they carry pony bottles per say, but they do carry stage and deco bottles on their excursions.

Thanks in advance.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Most welcome, and same to you.

Couple of pics attached that might help visualize as well. Don't have the oomph to hook it all up to the wing to show you what it looks like assembled, it's been a long week.

The felt thing that keeps the inflator hose and HP hose together is just one of the pieces that comes with the harness kit that you're supposed to use where metal meets harness. spg1.jpgspg2.jpg

Disagree with the advice to clip the SPG to the left hip D ring, at least for a relatively new recreational diver. I know it's the DIR way of doing things, but the requirement to reach down, unclip, look at it, and then clip it back is just another unnecessary potential source of stress for a relatively new diver. Put it on a longer hose, route it under you left arm, and clip it via a retractor to one of your chest D-rings. Simpler and easier. Just because it's "DIR" doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Couple of pics attached that might help visualize as well. Don't have the oomph to hook it all up to the wing to show you what it looks like assembled, it's been a long week.

The felt thing that keeps the inflator hose and HP hose together is just one of the pieces that comes with the harness kit that you're supposed to use where metal meets harness.View attachment 134805View attachment 134806

Thanks for the additional detail, JesperS. I've thought about this some more. The SPG isn't well-protected and so might be at risk when climbing a boat ladder or crawling over rocks out of the surf, say. And unthreading/re-threading the SPG from the bungee and the felt thingy (to hold the SPG against your tank when you're pressurizing your reg) might eventually prove to be a real pain.

Still, I think this is something I'm going to try. I'm really looking forward to trying this, in fact! Your approach would seem to have real value for, say, a photographer or videographer whose hands are otherwise occupied with a big camera/video rig. My power inflator (actually, my AIR II) is on a fairly short hose, so I'll go with a slightly longer HP hose. I'll have to remember to turn the SPG face toward my body if I should be getting close to something like a boat ladder. Not sure when I'll be in the water next, but I'll be sure and write back to let everyone know how this experiment turns out.

Thanks again.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I also attached my lp inflator hose to my hp SPG hose. The only drawback is that with an airtrim bcd, I would not be able to read my SPG in the event of a mask failure. However, if this happened, I would be ending the dive anyway.

I keep my SPG clipped to my left chest D-ring. For me, this is a best compromise. It is convenient to view when I am holding a medium size video camera and two lamps. But, there is a possibility for confusion, because the SPG(s) of my stage tank(s) hang at almost the same place. On the other hand, it is convenient to see them all simultaneously.

I would not place the SPG on my right chest D-ring because it might block access to my dry suit inflator especially in a free flow situation requiring a quick disconnect. The same applies to connecting the SPG to my wing inflator. Most of my dives are to waters with a temperature of 4 degrees Centigrade or less.

For me the evolution of the SPG location went from
'Held in my hands because I was going to run out of air at any minute' to
'under left arm and clipped to my right chest D-ring so I could look at it several times' to
'Clipped to left hip as a back-up to my air-integrated'

I went through the same progression. Deathgrip-chest-hip. As I dived more and became more familiar with air consumption and how long my dives typically lasted, I started using the SPG less (going from about 20 checks a dive to 4-5) and it became natural to migrate it to a position a little more out of the way.

Disagree with the advice to clip the SPG to the left hip D ring, at least for a relatively new recreational diver. I know it's the DIR way of doing things, but the requirement to reach down, unclip, look at it, and then clip it back is just another unnecessary potential source of stress for a relatively new diver. Put it on a longer hose, route it under you left arm, and clip it via a retractor to one of your chest D-rings. Simpler and easier. Just because it's "DIR" doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Actually, at least for me, clipped to my hip, I can reach down and turn the spg face to me and just look down and see it fine, no need to unclip. Might as well learn the best way first.

N

Mid BC left side on a retractor. That was the best way I found personally. Lots of great ways on here. Try the ones that sounds good. Who knows what you will like.

As a dive boat captain, I see all different configurations, many of which are covered here. My take is more what not to do. Try your configuration, whatever you choose, with whatever hand cover or glove you ordinarily dive with. Yes, try it WITH the gloves (and mask) on. If you cannot unclip it or locate it, without looking, one handed, first time every time, you need to rethink your set up. This is especially true of cross chest clips. Remember, in an emergency, you may need to be able to get out of your BC. You're dive buddy may need to be able to get you out of your BC. If you have hoses and clips criscrossing your chest that neither you or your buddy can get unclipped quickly and reliably, you are creating unnecessary risk. On a more routine basis, any task that cannot be accomplished without effort, or with minimal effort, increases your task loading. Small things cascade into big stress very quickly in any but ideal conditions. I've seen divers flustered to the point of distraction before they even get in the water over seemingly small things like not being able to get a BC clip fastened, or having a hose caught behind the back. Be able to handle your gear, and be able to perform any action fully suited, gloved and masked. Capt. Jim
Dr Dive

rx7diver:
Thanks for the additional detail, JesperS. I've thought about this some more. The SPG isn't well-protected and so might be at risk when climbing a boat ladder or crawling over rocks out of the surf, say.

Being against the chest / inflator, I'd venture to say it might be more protected than clipped to my hip where it's out of the way.

And unthreading/re-threading the SPG from the bungee and the felt thingy (to hold the SPG against your tank when you're pressurizing your reg) might eventually prove to be a real pain.
No need to thread and rethread. The felt is permanently attached to the SPG, and you just turn the head to see the face. The inflator hose is the part that is loose. This may or may not be more visible in the pics I'll attach to this.

Still, I think this is something I'm going to try. I'm really looking forward to trying this, in fact! Your approach would seem to have real value for, say, a photographer or videographer whose hands are otherwise occupied with a big camera/video rig. My power inflator (actually, my AIR II) is on a fairly short hose, so I'll go with a slightly longer HP hose. I'll have to remember to turn the SPG face toward my body if I should be getting close to something like a boat ladder. Not sure when I'll be in the water next, but I'll be sure and write back to let everyone know how this experiment turns out.

Sweet, glad to hear it! At worst, you're out the cost of an HP hose, right? I think you'll like.

Thanks again.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

My pleasure. Couple more pics attached of the setup on my sons rig. We did a little pool session to work on buoyancy, OOA drills and such before our trip.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 102
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 106
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 103
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back