Where to kayak dive at Point Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Let's say you have a dive kayak and you are planning to dive Point Lobos this Saturday. Where would you dive?

Assume experienced kayak divers who just don't get to Point Lobos very often.

There may also be a boat. Where should they go?

Thanks!

The fine people at BAUE compiled a list of sites and GPS coordinates to many places, though here is a link to Lobos. on the page find 'Index of all sites'. A box will pop up with site names will appear. Each site opens up to a detailed description of the site selected. The kelp is still thin, so bring an anchor. I love the great pinnacle myself. Hope this helps:)

Point Lobos Underwater Maps

Rob, thanks for the suggestion! I'm somewhat familiar with the BAUE site so I'll go read up on the great pinnacle.

Good point about the anchor. We did a kayak dive a while back and surfaced to find that one guy had not done a good job of tying his kayak to the kelp and his kayak had blown away in the wind. Fortunately we were able to find it and tow it back to him.

I quite launching at Lobos when they raised their rates and started charging for kayaks. I instead launch at south Monastery and paddle over to Lobos. It's a short paddle to get to Thumbs Up but you need a GPS to stay legal and anchor outside the park. You can also dive the Great Pinnacle legally since it is outside the park too. Plus there are other sites to visit like MonoLobo Wall.
Launching is pretty easy and protected but is best if you have wheels since it is little walk from the car.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom