Where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a place to go with my wife for our one year anniversery in June. I have foudn some cheap trips on Expedia but I need some direction. I want to do some diving and I was looking at staying in Key West, Key Largo, or Ft. Lauderdale (sp?) Any suggestions or directions? I am also looking for any recomendations on who to dive with.

Do a web search for Diving Bahamas and you'll find out there are dozens and dozens of great spot and shops. Take your pick, based on your time and budget.

I would like to go to the Bahama's but Florida is looking like a much better bargin. I found a hotel and flights to Ft. Lauderdale for about $375 a person. If it weren't going to be a just a couple of weeks before closing on our new home I wouldn't mind but.....

Staying in FLL would allow you to sample more of what SE Florida has to offer - it's an easy trip north to the Palm Beaches and Key Largo is within driving distance for a diving day trip. The downside is no Duval Street.

Eh, I don't think Duval St. and Key West are that great. I personally would rather stay in one of the upper keys.

West Palm Beach has some nice healthy reefs, very pretty, there's some wrecks and reef off Ft Lauderdale, and plenty of deeper wrecks and reef off Key Largo, the lower keys have Looe Key Marine Sanctuary and a couple wrecks including the Augustus Busch.

For dive ops, I used Jim Abernathy in WPB, Brownie's in FLL, Diver's City and Island Adventures (I think) in Key Largo and would recommend Florida Keys Reef-divers down the the lower keys.

What kind of diving do you want to do?

Rachel

If you want to dive the lower Keys, i.e. Key West area, contact Capt Jim Wyatt here on SB. He's located at Mile Marker 21 (i.e. 21 miles from Key West) and runs a dive operation at a marina. In talking with him and reading some of his posts, I get a very good impression that he could really give you an incredible dive trip. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom