Where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in Malaysia in September or October this year. Coming from Bangkok.
Where shall I go for diving? Place I can reach easily (flight from KL), and with good diving for a few days, and not too high budget??
I searched a while on Google, but it gives me just too much.
I was already in Lankawi which is not that good.

Any quick ideas or links, where I should start to search?

If you can get to the Seven Skies wreck, due east of Tioman in Indonesian waters, that is the perfect time of year for a great chance to see whlae sharks and / or mantas. It's a very nice dive even if you don't see the big critters but, although penetration is easy, it is a deep wreck (23-64 meters).

easiest place I know of from KL is hop on berjaya air to tioman. If you are bringing your own gear i would spring for the flexi ticket so you get 20kg of baggage.

That sounds great! I read there is an airplane from KL.
Is it good there for 3-5 days diving?
Small local owned dives shops?
Any budget hotels with Wifi?
If you have any personal experience there, please share :D

I was there and got a day of diving in. We ended up staying at the berjaya hotel because it was a family trip and the 4 star accommodation and a beach without sandflies were kind of important to the group. Me personally I would have been find in a 2 star chalet. Because we stayed at the berjaya it was easiest to just use their dive op, diving that day kinda sucked as currents were ripping and there was alot of suspended particle matter that reduced vis down to 20 ft or so, and overcast conditions didnt help, the day before we did some snorkling and conditions were much better. There are many good dive operations on the island, if you stay in tekek there is Tioman dive center and tioman reef divers which were both recommended to me, I also was recommended to use B&J's dive shop if I stayed on the north end of the island. I can only really comment on the berjaya dive op, it was a decent operation, but I felt like the Divemasters were zooming along a bit too quick, especially since members of our group were carrying as many as 3 cameras a piece and were crawling slowly looking for nudis and what not. If I ever went back I would probably try out Nazri's place and dive with B&J, especially to check out some of the deeper wrecks around the island.

as far as baggage I didnt know about the flexi tickets, and basically had my gear down to 10kg's in my check bagged, but my backpack(carry on) weighed almost 30kg, luckily they didnt weight the backpack, but buying the flexi ticket would have made life a little easier.

Do I understand right?
When I arrive at KL Airport I need to change to Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport to get to the Berjaja Air, which is the only airline to Tioman, right?

How do I move from the KL Airport to the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport and how much time for it?

Thanks!

correct, berjaya flies out of subang, I guess I dont know what your other plans are in KL or are you just going to go diving? If you are going right from KLIA to tioman I would get a taxi at KLIA to subang. (well not entirely true, personally I would get a family member to drive me, but short of that option a taxi would work). KLIA is a bit goofy in that only airport taxis are allowed to pick up at the airport.

Back
Top Bottom