Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catone

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everybody, new member/diver here, asking for some help deciding my next diving destination.

I live in Atlanta metro, easy access to Hartfield-Jackson airport or 4-5 hr drive to FL panhandle or 10 hrs to Key Largo. I have no buddy and I don't mind insta-buddies, I have my own gear, all my diving so far done in wetsuits in Florida, various depths and conditions.

I am in the position to be able to take 8 days off from work at the beginning of November (unique opportunity) and I am currently debating what to do and where to go. I'm planning a budget of around $2000 for the trip.

My options so far:

1. drive to the FL panhandle and dive 2-tank dives every day for about 15 dives total. Not crazy about the idea, I've done most of my diving there so far (Panama City, Destin, P'cola). The appeal is that it would be cheap as I could drive there and load my car with goodies

2. drive all the way to the Keys, I could do 4 dives daily and some nights, no need to worry about flying back and DCSing

3. fly out of Atlanta somewhere in the Caribbeans, Mexico or elsewhere. Big draw here is diving in new places, the fun of being in a foreign country, on the downside the expense and the limitations of air travel

4. stay locally or drive to FL for more training (advanced nitrox/deco or cave)

So, asking the ones with the experience of having done all that, what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

1. The Panhandle in NOV will be cold, water probably in the mid 60s. Destin, & P-cola are good weekend dive sites, but I wouldn't recommend diving more than a few consecutive days there.

2. Key Largo is more than 10 hours from ATL, unless you live in Tifton. I love Key Largo, just went last week and looking to go back in NOV for IANTD Adv Rec TRIMIX & Deep Diver through Silentworld. They're a great outfit for instruction and fun diving.

3. I don't know I'd fly OCONUS on a dive trip alone, that just me. Perhaps you can find a group to tag along with.

If traveling alone my vote is instruction in FL. You cannot go wrong diving in the Keys. Consider that tec instruction is typically pretty expensive. I'm budgeting about $1.5k for instruction of the IANTD courses, plus another $1-1.5k for other expenses.

your question is one I struggle with all the time - right now included. I did most of my diving in southeast FL when I first started after getting certified (OW) in the Cook Islands then returning to NJ where I lived at the time to do my AOW. I flew almost every weekend to dive in West Palm & Riviera Beach & Jupiter. There are some really great dive spots there.
I've since done trimix & cave mostly in FL panhandle. It's not too cold to dive caves if you want to do a cavern class. I have a few buddies in Atl who love the caves but also go up to SC and AL to do some deep freshwater diving.
You've answered some important questions like timing and budget but the biggest questions are what really excite you other than a foreign country (I COMPLETELY understand and is why I primarily live in Brasíl now)? What kind of diving do you aspire do? Are you driven by the deep wrecks or do caves get your blood flowing? Since I've discovered the caves, I barely ever dive salt. But that's me (and a decent percentage of the cave diving community).

Mexico is a great spot. I've done 2 diving vacations there and plan to do another this year strictly for the cenotes/caves. Cozumel is a top-notch dive location. Really fantastic. you can get relatively inexpensive flights to Mexico (Cancun (CUN) or Cozumel (CZM)). You can find some great dive operators. I did one trip where I discovered cenotes (before I was full cave) and also did some open water dives in Cancun. There's a really good operator there I'd be happy to share.

Grand Cayman is a great place for diving holiday. Deep, warm, great beaches, very ultra-clear water, people to dive with.
Bonaire is high on many lists for people for great quality of diving, lots of people to connect with, and so on. I don't know Bonaire personally since I've never been there but you can find thousands of stories about it.

These places I think you can do all within the budget and current experience level. I do use vacations to further my training though some people aren't thrilled with the idea. There's a mixed school of thought about going to some exotic location then doing training there (you may miss out on seeing what you went there for) such as Cozumel or Bonaire. Your call.

If you have specific questions about some of the locations or experiences, I'm more than happy to share. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.
Steve

catone, this is a long shot but does your name happen to be Mike? Originally from Romania? If not, nevermind.

Id say hit up cave country for a few days, maybe take a cavern class if your up for it (don't know ur skill level)....but if not there are still plenty of great dives for just the OW crowd. Hang around there for a few days then head for the keys, or the panhandle. but thats just me :wink:

Diving anywhere is a highly risky activity, and not an undertaking to be taken lightly. I suggest you wire me the 2k, I'll dive on your behalf and contact you post-trip to provide you with all the details. This will allow you to feel "as if" you dove, but without the risks involved and without subjecting your friends and family to the unavoidable mental anguish involved in knowing their friend/loved one is in harms way. I know what you're thinking: "this sounds awesome, but how much is this guy gonna charge me?". Well, being the good samaritan that I am, I won't charge you anything beyond the $2,000 which I assure you will solely go towards room/board/diving. And please, don't feel guilty...really, I don't mind doing this for you. I eagerly await your acceptance.

So, asking the ones with the experience of having done all that, what would you do?
I can't say I've driven to Florida or stayed locally for more advanced training, but I've done the rest of that. I'd fly from Atlanta to Belize City: $328 on Continental. An off-peak week at the Turneffe Island Lodge: $1390. Well within budget; there are no other expenses, unless you like a cocktail every now and then. Meals and transfers are included. The Turneffe Island Lodge is a first-rate dive resort (do a search for reviews) and the diving can be as good as the Caribbean gets. I spent considerably more when I went.

I would road trip it to FL, suck it up and make a long day of driving to Jupiter/Boynton Beach and start diving and driving hitting all the spots to finish in Key Largo! Just my $.02 but it would be much more convenient than traveling by air outside the US. You would have the ability to move around to better diving/conditions if you need to.

...it would suck to make arrangements than have a late season hurricane roll through the Carribean.

First thing to do is complete your profile so we can address your needs compared to you better. :D
2. drive all the way to the Keys, I could do 4 dives daily and some nights, no need to worry about flying back and DCSing
Yeah, just rolling the car when you fall asleep at the wheel. The vast majority of my diving has required two flights each way, and it's no biggie to fly after diving. DAN suggests 18 hours SI after multiple no-deco dive days.
3. fly out of Atlanta somewhere in the Caribbeans, Mexico or elsewhere. Big draw here is diving in new places, the fun of being in a foreign country, on the downside the expense and the limitations of air travel
Traveling alone can be pricey, but many of my trips were that way - including solo car rentals to the Keys and private rooms. Let's look at some ideas...

Cozumel - love it...!

Flights to the island start at $570 that week :( but fly to Cancun non-stop for $335. click pic CUN.JPG I'm not sure what time the last ferry is, but let's assume this ticket would work for now.

Ado bus to Playa del Carmen for $8 each way, ferry to Coz for $12 each way (do not buy RT tickets!), cab to hotel for $6 each way = $387 total transportation

Scuba Mau diving and a Superior room at Villablanca: 7 nights, 5 - 2 tank trips, free shore dives = $685.00 Single Occupancy. Add more dive trips @ $60/2 tank trips. 650 sq ft room, huge bed with sofa or dining table, full apartment size fridge, my room had a micro wave but my bud's didn't. 5 cafes within a block, hike to others, or make friends and take a cab into town for dinners.

You will need to take ferry & bus back to Cancun the night before you travel, but the regulars on the Cozumel forum can suggest a good, cheap hotel.

Cozumel plan 2...

Book Orbitz air & hotel package, 2 flights each way but no bus. czm.JPG Air & Villablanca for 7 nights private room (Superior upgrade was too expensive, so rough it in regular room) $923 - but apply 200entertain discount, uncheck the ground transfers ripoff = $723 + $18 ground transfers paid there.

6 - 2 tanks trips with Scuba Mau, free shore dives = $360 cash discount. Nah, I like the first approach better, thru Cancun and a night there, but better room

Roatan...!

Air = $786

Free ground transfers, 7 nights private room, 3 boat dives/day, free shore dives, food & drinks (not great food or premium booze, but ok enough) = $799 + tax
See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/348561-499-week-diving-wow.html

Welcome to :sblogo:

I am just down the road from you in Savannah. I have dove all over Florida and head there regularly with students for checkouts. We also have a forum here called the Deep Dixie Divers. There is always something going on there for dives. There is even a club in your area http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-dive-clubs-groups/. We will all be meeting up in October at Vortex Springs (VORTOBERFEST VI) for a megadive weekend. You are very welcome to join us! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-deep-dixie/

If you ever want to get some diving in, just send me a message. You could always head over to Savannah and I can drive the rest of the way down to Florida. Or you can dive offshore here!

Happy Diving!
Carolyn:shark2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom