Where to go next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As per @KathyV, the water temps in Florida at the end of March are likely to be in the low 70s, not bad if you are prepared, cold if you think Florida is a tropical paradise. On the other hand, The northern Keys have many easy, no current, shallow reef dives, perfect for the beginner diver. Some ops, like Rainbow Reef, put a guide in the water, making it that much easier. I spent several years diving the keys before the drift diving of SE Florida won me over.

That depends on how far you are willing to travel.

I'm a huge fan of the Red Sea and Sinai in Egypt offers the best diving there.

You can combine boat / shore dives, dive the famous blue hole, wreck diving, see a huge variety of animals and coral walls dropping down a sheer 300ft with no end in sight.

Its also very cheap, with great hospitality and amazing food.

Would certainly recommend if you dont mind traveling far out.

Thanks for the responses! I would love to dive the Red Sea but it's a very long and expensive flight. I'd prefer to go when I can spend more than a week there or do a liveaboard.

I think I've got it narrowed down to Bonaire, Curacao, or La Paz for now. Also talked her into maybe moving it to a week in April instead. There is a good chance we will do a longer trip later this year...

Thanks for the responses! I would love to dive the Red Sea but it's a very long and expensive flight. I'd prefer to go when I can spend more than a week there or do a liveaboard.

I think I've got it narrowed down to Bonaire, Curacao, or La Paz for now. Also talked her into maybe moving it to a week in April instead. There is a good chance we will do a longer trip later this year...

Sounds good but keep in mind that Easter is very late this year (April 21) so you will still be in the expensive high season for most of the month.

Looking for some advice on where to go next! I was planning on going somewhere end of April but now the GF has some time off at the end of March so I've got to plan this quick.

We are new divers that would be flying out of Ohio (Columbus or Cleveland). I got my OW in Roatan and went to Cozumel in April last year. Finally was able to talk the GF into getting her OW in the summer and then we went back to Cozumel in Sept. She liked the diving but not so much the current (it was definitely ripping most of the time our 2nd trip). I've got about 50 dives in now and she has about 20.

Any ideas on inexpensive (I understand it's going to be hard to find a better deal for the diving than Coz) destinations? We would be going for about a week, 8-9 days max. I'd like a mix of boat/shore diving. She doesn't like diving all day every day like I do, so maybe a place with some stuff to do/see topside. I prefer more laid-back locals, we aren't really big into partying late into the night. I'm thinking Bonaire? Maybe Curacao? Any other ideas?

Since you have narrowed it down to Bonaire, Curacao and La Paz and still looking at April-- I would rule out La Paz right off the bat. Water temps will be much colder and the diving in the Sea of Cortez is much better later in the year- late summer to early fall is best. Also, I would opt for Loreto over La Paz, if and when you decide to go to that part of the world.

Between Bonaire and Curacao- That's tough, but based on what you have stated so far, I would probably go with Bonaire. I could write a ton more on why I feel that way, but don't have time right now. Maybe tomorrow. I think most would agree that La Paz is not the optimal option given your criteria, so I just wanted to throw that out there for now to help narrow the options down further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom