Where to go? Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice! It seems flying into Manila is by far the cheapest option. I searched for airfare from Manila to Cebu and Kayak came up with $34 USD. After looking at Tigerairways and converting PHP to USD this seems correct.....but not possible?

I don't know what you're looking at, but often the base fare is very low and then there are additional taxes and fees that bring the price up to something you can believe. I booked a flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur recently that cost less than $5 in the base fare, but by the time the taxes and everything else got added in, I paid $100 or something by credit card.

Looks like it goes up to about $60 with luggage....wow. Looks like we'll probably be going to the Philippines. Now where to stay??? Looks like November is prime time to see whale sharks. Threshers would be cool too. We'll have about 9 days to dive after I take out a couple days for travel to and from Manila. Simple itinerary anyone? As for accommodations, We don't need super luxury but we don't like to rough it too much. TV not required but if it's hot, we'll want AC.

Looks like it goes up to about $60 with luggage....wow. Looks like we'll probably be going to the Philippines. Now where to stay??? Looks like November is prime time to see whale sharks. Threshers would be cool too. We'll have about 9 days to dive after I take out a couple days for travel to and from Manila. Simple itinerary anyone? As for accommodations, We don't need super luxury but we don't like to rough it too much. TV not required but if it's hot, we'll want AC.

You still have a little time to decide on an exact itenerary, as far as travel----you might consider flying directly into Cebu vice transfering in Manila...

This can make your travel a lot easier depending on your connection provided you decide to stay in the Visayas(CEBU, Bohol, Leyte or Negros(Dauin)...) Either way check out the Philippine Paridise Divers here on SCUBA Board do some searching and you can find lots of good info....

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! It seems flying into Manila is by far the cheapest option. I searched for airfare from Manila to Cebu and Kayak came up with $34 USD. After looking at Tigerairways and converting PHP to USD this seems correct.....but not possible?
Tigerairways does NOT fly between Manila and Cebu. Have a look at Cebu Pacific and Air Phil Express. Both airlines have special promotion from time to time.
Visayas offer the best diving in Philippines after Tubattaha. There are so many places to choose from. Just to name a few: Bohol(Alona Beach), Dumaguete, Malapascua, Moalboal and Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay).
If you do not fancy any domestic flight then you have the choice of Anilao, Puerto Galera and Subic Bay in Luzon.
As Roger had already suggested, take a look at Philippines Paradise Divers for more information.

Have a look at Cebu Pacific and Air Phil Express.

With Cebu Pacific you can pre-book a Sports Equipment Allowance too if you're travelling with dive gear...

With Cebu Pacific you can pre-book a Sports Equipment Allowance too if you're travelling with dive gear...
It doesn't make any sense now to pre-book a Sport Equipment Allowance
1. You need to pack them in a spearate bag, max weight is 15kg and the cost is P1,000.00 per sector.
2. For ordinary pre-booked check in luggage(per sector between Manila and Cebu):
15kg is P150.00
20kg is P280.00
30kg is P450.00
45kg is P900.00

If I pack everything(gear + whatever) in one big bag and weight under 30kg, I only pay P450.00 per sector. What is the point of paying P1000.00 for Sport Equip(15kg) as well as P150.00 for another bag of 15kg in weight? P700.00 will buy me a lot of smb or T-shirt per sector!!!!!

I like the idea of Hong Kong to Cebu direct. Any advice for layover length given we'll be transfering to a different airline. I did see we can fly Chicago to Cebu but it was more expensive than switching. Will we have any problems finding accomodations the end of Nov or can I book my air and worry about accomodations later?

I like the idea of Hong Kong to Cebu direct. Any advice for layover length given we'll be transfering to a different airline. I did see we can fly Chicago to Cebu but it was more expensive than switching. Will we have any problems finding accomodations the end of Nov or can I book my air and worry about accomodations later?
1. Accommodation in HK is pretty steep.
2. Cebu Pacific has direct flight from HK to Cebu departing around 01:00am. While Air Phil Express departs around 18:00.
3. Leave your luggage at the airport and do a bit of sight seeing in HK if you are up to it(physically).
4. Switching airline is something you have to consider. If your in-coming flight is delayed and you missed the connection. You will need to buy a new ticket if it is available. Of course you can claim the insurance afterwards but that is another story.
5. Plenty of reasonable hotels in Manila for around US$50-60.00 range.
6. Book your flight but give yourself plenty of time to make the connection.

Back
Top Bottom