Where to go in the Gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Clipper definitely has buoys. They look like this:

Attachments

• 111907-017.JPG
    111907-017.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 39
I was thinking Galvaston, Houston, Corpus, Padre, I'd be coming from Austin so I don't think it would really matter. I just looked thru the NOAA AWODB and out of 1800+ pages dident see anything all that thrilling. Am I wrong in thinking you have to go way far out just to hit 100'?

Port Aransas near Corpus and Port Isabel on South Padre Island will allow you to reach blue water the fastest, both will offer both rigs and wrecks but if your not going to get to come to Texas often I would go th South Padre and dive the clipper.

Randy

Thanks Randy, yeah we're actually moving to Austin in a few months so looks like we will be heading to the ocean on quite a few weekends since it will be a new thing to to be alot closer to it. How does that work with rigs? You just are out boating, spot one and go dive it with no hassle?

Well the rigs are first come first serve so it helps to have a few in mind, plot the coordinates and head for the first one. If it already has several boats on it then head to the next one. It's not uncommon to see 2 or 3 boats on the same rig, more than that can be a problem. Mostly you'll find people fishing. Divers and fishermen can get along on the same rig with a little cooperation but you'll run into the occasionally a-hole. On a weekend with predicted flat seas and clear skies it can get busy on the water.

If in doubt, you can always take a rig charter or two to see how they do it.

Okay so after doing some searching I'm drawing a blank. I would like some input on diving off the Texas coast or "gulf of Texas" lol as my wife says. I'm not up for the flower gardens or really any other field trips by local ops. I was thinking more along the lines of taking my own boat and doing some deeper wrecks.

I heard of the Clipper and some rig diving but don't ya need to get permission first to dive a rig? (unless your with a charter that already has an agreement). I guess I was just curious how things worked down there and what conditions to expect in the gulf.

From what I gathered you need to go about 20+ miles offshore. Is anything bouyed like some of the wrecks in the keys? I haven't got the gulf blue chart yet, but on the FL and Bahamas one I have it actually shows some of the wrecks on the chart. Anyone dive any of the wrecks shown on the Garmin Bluecharts? Or dive from their own boat for that matter?
Don't head for Cameron, La.....@ 31 miles offshore, we're in 42' of water.....kind of aggrevating, but it beats fishing & diving Toledo Bend..My guess, you'll need to travel somewhere near 30+/- miles out where you're thinking about........We head (up to) 75 miles out for the above reasons, ran a 25' twin outboat(Wellcraft 250 Sportsman)--now have a 29' Wellcraft, able to hit 100 miles out..........I actually use old Air Log & PHI charts(gotten for me my BIL years ago), so nothing is located on them but dots in the blocks where rigs are located.....

Well thanks again everyone for all your input. I just updated my charts for the area and am amazed at all the stuff in the water down there! Looks like I could spend the rest of my life exploring in the gulf. Looking fwd to making some new dive buddy friends down there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom