Where to go in October/NOvember?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from Malaysia and last winter I spent 6 weeks in Thailand. I'm thinking about diving the Philippines in October or November. I was in Anilao last year but I hope to maybe head further south to Cebu and surrounding area. I've only got about 9 days. How is the diving there around that time of year? Should I head somewhere else? I'm open to suggestions.

Malapascua Island at the northern end of Cebu.

Two really good dive sites.
Monad Shoal is a mid water cleaning station at 18-25m where you can see Threasher Sharks nearly every. We also saw Mantas (3x) Eagle Rays (2 just passign through) and a Devil Ray.

Starting in November you can also see hammerheads evidently.

APART from the big stuff it is a really great dive site with tons of nudibranches and other macro you just dont have a lot of time to take notice when you are looking for Threashers.

Gatau Island is also a grade A site with White Tip, Reef, Bamboo Sharks, Turtles, Frogfish and Pigmy Seahorse.

The Island is fairly quiet but the food is generally better than other places in Phil.

The other OK place near Cebu is Panglao/Balacasag but it isnt half as good as it was 2 years ago and no chance to see the big schools of Baracuda and Jacks.

Anyboyd else have an opinion on this? I've also been thinking about Palau or Yap. I can get cheap flights to guam or the philippines so maybe I can get a cheap flight to one of those destinations from there.

Hi,
I heard that the flight to Palau/Yap is very expensive, so even if you get a cheap flight to the Philippines, you have to pay a lot for the short ongoing flight. Sometime ago, I got prices where the flight from Austria to the Philippines (about appr. 14 hours) was cheaper than the 2 hours or so-flight from the Philippines to Palau... :( The point is there is obviously only one (national) airline serving these routes.

I liked the diving at Moalboal on Cebu (in the south-west), beautiful corals but few big fish, lots of small stuff, good visibility. 9 days is more than enough as there are not so many dive spots. If you are there, you should visit Sunken Island and Pescador Island.
Cheers, Gaby

Hi,

I was travelling around Philippines in 6 weeks - the only purpose was diving :eek:) The very best diving there was Apo Island, south of Cebu. It's a marine sanctuary with a varied marine life and diving at very different levels. Don't confuse it with Apo Island near Puerto Galera.

If you are into wreck diving you should go to Busuanga near Palawan. Normally I'm no into wrecks, but this was awesome. 12 wrecks from world war II. :11doh:

jiveturkey:
Anyboyd else have an opinion on this? I've also been thinking about Palau or Yap. I can get cheap flights to guam or the philippines so maybe I can get a cheap flight to one of those destinations from there.

Flights to Palau or other places in Micronesia are controlled by Continental and they are very expensive even from Manila. Having said that, Palau is just simply incredible !

for October, have you considered Bali ? there's a chance of seeing the Mola Mola . I understand that chances are better if you time your trip there when there is a full moon.

Thanks guys but I started this thread almost 3 years ago.

jiveturkey:
Thanks guys but I started this thread almost 3 years ago.

I am glad that Katja revived your thread cos' Mike's new info is quite exciting. I did'nt notice the date of the original post but I am quite sure the info about Asian spirit is of interest to many.

Mike, is it possible to book online with Asian Spirit ? $300 is less than half of what I paid !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom