where to go in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are just going to have to call around, conditions can be variable up and down the keys and the South FL coast. Talk to dive ops in places like Jupiter, West Palm, Pompano, Key Largo, Islamorada, etc.

Suggestions for windy time of year like this.

For the Keys, I would call Quiesence Dive Services. They run 6 pack boats and their captains have decades of experience. I suggest them because, even if it is too windy to go the signature "outside" reefs on the edge of the gulf stream, there are lots of reefs inside those, and even going in towards Hawk Channel, that might be dive-able. Where seas can be 6 feet at Molasses, they might be 3 or 3-4 on one of the inside reefs and you can still get some diving in. The Quiesence crew seems to know a huge number of spots in all areas.

Along the east coast north from the Keys, there are no semi-calm areas like that. The reefs are all offshore and if it is rough none of the trips will be good (if they go at all).

But, up in West Palm, the Blue Heron Bridge is always protected and always calm, an easy entry beach dive from a public park. It is an awesome macro dive, with some nice bridge structure, lots of sponge growth, lots of structures underwater, lots of fish and just a great dive in general. It is the go-to spot when the wind picks up. However, call a dive shop nearby for reports on the vis. A few days of high wind can stir up the ocean and reduce visibility at the bridge.

Thanks to all. I think I have found a solution: Southwest Airlines. They will let us reschedule flights up to the last minute with no added charge. So we can book a flight to Ft Lauderdale, and then talk to the shop a couple of days before departure. If the shop says that they may not be able to take boats out that day due to wind, then we will reschedule.

Diving inside reefs sounds like a workable solution too. I'll have to keep Quiesence in mind.

for the next few days, we have AMAZING dive conditions from Jupiter, Florida. The forecast looks to be great thru the end of this month. We had some awesome dive trips this week and it looks like it will continue for a bit.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom