where to go in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to plan a short dive vacation to Florida. My first choice was the Keys, but having already scheduled hotel and airline, now I see that the days will be too windy, and most likely boats won't go out. I have been told that this is often the case, and since I'm only going to get one vacation, I don't want to waste it on cancelled dives. I'm not interested in diving in springs. Does anyone have recommendations?

West Palm Beach area is a good alternative to the Keys. Singer Island is a great base; can do the Blue Heron Bridge right there or hook up with any number of operators within a reasonable distance. Pura Vida is right there, Jupiter isn't far. Locals can chime in and point you to additional shops/boats.

Trouble is, from what I can tell on accuweather, the wind in WPB closely matches the wind in the Keys. So if diving in the keys is out for a particular day, wouldn't it also be out for WPB? I understand that the bridge would still be OK, but that would just be one tank per day therefore not worth the airline and hotel costs.

Is there anywhere with good diving on gulf side?

Yes there is but when the wind blows like it does in the winter time it's usually calm on the leeward side BUT dirty. to be honest with you winter time you must wait and pick your days. The springs in the middle of the state are usually clear but once you dive a spring they all look the same with different passages to navigate. Call and ask dive shops but remember I have nothing to gain or LOOSE from my statements. I was stationed in Key West 5 years. Good luck.

Gulf diving is decent, but not as spectacular as the Keys or SE Florida. The Gulf is cold in the winter too, so you should call shops like Panama City Diving or Scuba Tech to see what the conditions are like before yiu book a trip.

I'm the Keys right now: the marine conditions online have looked terrible this weekend but we've been getting out. It's a bit bumpy but not as bad as the marine conditions sites have forecasted.

Winter time is tough for diving since the wind usually out of the north or northeast and is stiff. ... summer and fall are more predictably nice. When I was local, it worked since i could dive at the last minute, now that I'm not, I just roll the bones and take my chances and usually have a backup plan like blue heron bridge or doing other topside fun things

what days will you be here? Winds are funny. the Keys can be blown out by the same winds that bring us great diving.
check out the Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. we got dives scheduled most of the time and people who will dive with you all of the time!

in fact, we have trips going this week Wednesday thru Saturday on a Jupiter boat. seas are predicted to be 2 feet or less.

East winds surely effect diving conditions on Florida's East coast, but Easterly winds are very favorable for us on the West Coast of the state. Here on the central West Coast have some very good diving, despite what people who are not local believe. Close to the beach where we conduct our fossil dives viz ranges from 6-20 feet. Off shore 7 miles and beyond is a different world, at 20 miles out water is most often Caribbean Blue. I have watched our anchor hit the site many times in 100 feet. Give our shop a call and/or check our web site, we would be happy to help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom