Where to go in Aug just prior to Komodo liveaboard early Sep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncitrdude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Due to some time off between jobs, I have a very rare opportunity to travel for several weeks throughout the month of August and into mid-September (Home for me is Dallas).

I have a spot reserved for a Komodo liveaboard the first 2 weeks of September. I'd like to find something to do in the weeks prior. I'm thinking Bali for a few days for land-based diving as well as just relaxing on land before boarding the Komodo boat. I'm looking for recommendations on what to do prior to Bali. So basically:

• early Aug-Aug 22: ??? (open to suggestions)
  • Aug 23-30: I'm thinking Bali, land-based diving and just relaxing on land (open to suggestions)
  • Sep 1-12: Komodo liveboard
I was thinking a Raja Ampat liveaboard for that early/mid August window, but it doesn't seem like that's a great time of the year to go (not sure if that's accurate?) and there are not many liveaboards running that itinerary at that time.

Would welcome any recommendations on what to do for that early/mid-August window, as well as thoughts on whether Bali for the 2nd/middle segment is a good or bad idea. Open to any and all suggestions, my only preference is ease of travel (don't want to be going all over the place and doing tons of stops air segment-wise).

Thanks!

Info on your diving experience and expectations/wish list for diving will help. A lot of good posters with good info on here. Just direct them on what you can/cant do and what you are looking for in a dive site/area.

Ah good point. I've got close to 200 dives under my belt, been diving since 2001, but really ramped up frequency in last 10 years when i started doing liveaboards. I've done 8 liveaboards to date (Belize, Socorro x3, Galapagos, Red Sea, Guadalupe Island), and I'm AOW and Nitrox certified. I prefer the "big stuff" ie whalesharks, sharks, dolphins, mantas, bigger fish, etc. Not really into macro stuff.

Whalesharks are my favorite, would love to see more dolphins/hammerheads (especially up close). In general, the bigger and closer the better!

Alor, decent chances of hammerheads.
Never seen dolphins underwater on a dive in Alor but there is regularly a pod of dozens if not a hundred when you cross the channel between Alor and Pantar islands.

Although not optimal, Raja Ampat diving is fine when based in a resort, out of Dampier straits preferably out of the bigger land masses that attract clouds and rain. No hammerheads though.

I second Luko's recommendation for Alor, very nice diving.

Alternatively you could try Maratua/ Sangalaki area - Decent chance of seeing big animals (whale sharks, thresher, mantas, countless turtles); jelly fish lake in Kakaban is very nice as well.

Or dive the less crowded side of Komodo (G<ili Banta, Sangeang, West Komodo): there is a resort in East Sumbawa (Kalimaya) that has had positive reviews on this board. I will visit in early August, haven't been there myself.

If you like whalesharks look at a Cenderawasih Bay trip. Cbay whalesharks are the best and you can dive with them. You can fly to Sorong do a little land based in Central/Kri area then fly to CBay. I think there are a couple boats there .. Dewi Nusantara has a special right now. Damai is another that is doing trips but not sure about availability.

+ 1 for Alor in that timeframe.

Giving another + for Alor. Unforgettable diving. I got to spend a bit of time in Alor and did many dives and never got bored. There is a variety of things to see, macro, reef, larger fish. I was able to see hammerheads, mola mola, eagle rays, and honestly super amazing little critters like wonderpus, coleman shrimp, rhinopios, frogfish, and so much more. The reefs themselves are super healthy and colorful.
From personal experience, I was with Alor Tanapi Dive Resort and they were wonderful.

Given the recommendations above, I decided to switch to a longer liveaboard trip that hits both Komodo and Alor (Blue Manta).

Curious what the forum's thoughts are on spending 5 nights in Bali before heading to Labuan Bajo to board the liveaboard. My current through process is to spend 5 nights in Sanur at the Mahagiri Villas as a convenient "central" location to do daytrips to some or all of Nusa Penida, Padang Bai, Tulamben, and Amde/Gilisang (the operator Neptune Scuba in Sanur seems highly reviewed, unless there are other recommendations)? Was originally thinking of staying in Uluwatu but that seems less convenient to do the diving daytrips (45 minute drive to Sanur).

Back
Top Bottom