Where to go for nudibranchs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems as though you all forgot about the east coast of Australia. We have diving enviroments that range from Tropical (think Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea) to temperate (world famous Jervis Bay) and even subtemperate (Victoria and Tasmania). All of these areas have an abundance of nudibranchs and other gastropods in many different varieties. The water tempratures can vary from a cool 6 degrees C down south to a balmy 30 degrees in the north.

On my last shore dive I saw over a dozen different varieties of nudis as well as Weedy Sea Dragons and Sea Horses as well as over ten different types of Sea Star in 20 meter vis and I wasn't even looking hard as I was shooting Wide Angle.

But I know that you Americans think we're on the other side of the world here (LOL) but a few years ago they invented this thing called the Jet Airplane and in as little as 14 hours from the USA you can be here enjoying warm water and summer temps. The above mentioned dive was about a twenty minute drive from Sydney's International Airport at the site where English explorers first set foot in Australia!!!

Peter

Wisnu is correct; of the places I've been, Lembeh is the best for quantity and variety of nudibranchs. And the Caribbean is only slightly better than Pennsylvania quarries. :wink:

st. vincent.

BIll Tewes of Dive St Vincent can find anything, including nudis.

We dove with Bill for a week. Saw a couple of flatworms and maybe 1 or 2 nudis. I see more here in Southern California putting on my fins than we saw in St Vincent. Don't get me wrong, Bill is a great guy and we saw tons of cool stuff, but nudis, not so much.

Bill

30 different kinds in Bligh Water!
480__MG_5341_Nudi_Hi_8_FA_III_Fiji_07.jpg

See more under travel Fiji 2007 at my site!

We dove with Bill for a week. Saw a couple of flatworms and maybe 1 or 2 nudis. I see more here in Southern California putting on my fins than we saw in St Vincent. Don't get me wrong, Bill is a great guy and we saw tons of cool stuff, but nudis, not so much.

Bill

thats weird.
Does anyone know if time of year affects nudi numbers.
WE saw some on everydive last time we were there.
What time of year was your trip?

In the Caribbean locations I've been to so far (bahamas, bonaire, curacao, grand cayman, keys) I average about 1 nudibranch per 20 dives (I am excluding Lettuce slugs, as they are everywhere) and I am searching hard. Only looking on the reef, but still.

Dying to get to Anilao or at least back to Hawaii for a more target rich environment.

We were in St Vincent in July and we saw some lettuce leaf but no nudis to write home about. I like your St Vincent catalog but no nudis there either :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom