Where to go for nudibranchs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Nudibranchs have been one of my favorite photo subjects since my first big dive trip to Maui, but I haven't had much luck finding any since then.

I've been to Cozumel repeatedly, and haven't seen a single one (though on the last trip I found a lot of cowries), nor did I spot any in the Flower Garden Banks in the Gulf of Mexico, nor could I find any in Roatan, Honduras.

Are there any "hot spots" of nudibranch populations?

They are there, you just have to know where to look for them. The caribbean nudi's tend to be smaller. I have seen them all over the caribbean, now that I know what I am looking for. The best thing you can do is learn about their behavior and habitats. A great book for that is Caribbean Sea Slugs. I use it as a reference a lot.

I thought I read something about they were doing a study or something in Bonaire right now trying to understand why there are so many nudi branchs there all of the sudden?

Come visit us in Southern California. Lots and lots of nudis here but a bit chilly right now.
Bill

On my last dive in Monterey, on the Shale Beds off Del Monte Beach, I saw at least 100 nudibranchs, many as big as your hand. We get jaded and stop taking pictures of a lot of them because we see them so much. Hope you don't mind 50-55 degree water and limited visibility, though. A great day is 50'+, a good day is 20'+, a nomal day is 10-20' and the rest of the time, you can see somewhere between your nose and your buddies fins, if your buddy is close enough to catch up with for an air share.

The whole US Pacific coast seems to be great for nudies. They're all over Monterey, there are lots in the Channel Islands, and they're one of our favorite things in Seattle. And ours are BIG!

The whole US Pacific coast seems to be great for nudies. They're all over Monterey, there are lots in the Channel Islands, and they're one of our favorite things in Seattle. And ours are BIG!

Yeah, but I'll take tiny nudis as a trade off for warmer water. :D

Come to Thailand! The Similans via liveaboard is worth a trip. The variety in these parts is amazing.

On my last dive in Monterey, on the Shale Beds off Del Monte Beach, I saw at least 100 nudibranchs, many as big as your hand. We get jaded and stop taking pictures of a lot of them because we see them so much. Hope you don't mind 50-55 degree water and limited visibility, though. A great day is 50'+, a good day is 20'+, a nomal day is 10-20' and the rest of the time, you can see somewhere between your nose and your buddies fins, if your buddy is close enough to catch up with for an air share.

Well it would hardly be the first time :D

Current LTTS Weather Readings

Back
Top Bottom