Where to go? Bunaken or Lembeh? Any suggestions about a resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend the last two days, look around on the internet the places you have suggested. It's true there are prices for every budget. We don't care too much about conforts, Aircon or whetever. we are looking for great dives and maybe we are prepared to spend a bit more for a good diving op then a fancy resort.
For sure we are going to split our time between both Bunaken (definitely on the island) and Lembeh.
Try to take the best from both.

Hello Scubajena,

We (Divers Lodge Lembeh) are visiting these sites whenever weather allows it. I know NAD does, not sure about the others.

I was also underwhelmed by Bunaken. I've dived some amazing walls and reefs, and Bunaken is good but doesn't come close to those at Sipadan. I dived Bunaken for 4 days, mostly on the walls, once on a wreck and a couple mandarin dives. The wreck was good, great dive.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Lembeh, I was completely blown away, having dived some great macro places, Lembeh out-stripped my expectations for critters and it was a photographers heaven. I saw almost all the critters I thought I could bar a blue-ring octopus (not from lack of trying).

If you're looking for resorts, I dived with Two Fish divers in Bunaken, which was fine, guides are good.

Divers Lodge Lembeh were unbelievable. Really great resort, the food was great, accomodation fantastic. Amazing staff, everything we wanted they gave. We asked for 5 dive days, doing an hours bottom time each, then switched to 4 dive days with around 80mins bottom time. Leaving the resort at 7, arriving back at 10. You really do set the schedule. And at the price for the all-inclusive offer it was the cheapest diving I've done. I would definitely return if I'm in the area and have the money.

Three of us went to Lembeh last Aug. We stayed at Two Fish which is very basic and the food was adequate. As for the diving....two of us are not interested on photography and we were bored stiffness with the dives. Go there if you want to spend awful long time trying to get eg. a weedy scorpion fish to post for you. There might be a queue as well !!! The featureless black sandy bottom makes you wonder why bother. We will never return. My buddy who could only afford one trip per year regretted our choice.
Bunaken, we went there few yrs ago, much better as the wall was colourful, the only reason why I took up scuba diving in the beginning. We stayed at Bastiano....if you are late for food, you will starve!!!!!!! Stock up some goodies in Manado before taking the ferry across.

What i'm looking for is a clean, budget place. I don't need luxury suite, just confortable and clean and most important good food and good diving centre..

Hi there,

I've been to Bunakan/Lembeh twice and agree about diving both. Personally I'd do Lembeh then Bunakan.

Like others have said it is very different diving. In Lembeh you will see some of the most amazing marine life but the vis is about 10 meters and you will not have blue water. Bunakan has steep walls that are covered with beautiful coral and blue water, some turtles and perhaps reef sharks if you get lucky. I've had 20-40 meter vis.

I stayed with NAD but think Two Fish is another good budget option in Lembeh.

In Bunakan I'd dive with Living Colors which is a great shop & good atmosphere. If you are looking for backpacker budget and don't need fancy food, dive with Living Colors and ask to stay at their indonesian partners bungalows next door: Lorenzo II. There is fantastic sunset snorkling just along along the shore & nightly local entertainment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom