Where to go? Bunaken or Lembeh? Any suggestions about a resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajena

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.
I followed this amazing website and forum for years. Now I'm almost ready to plan my next trip to Indonesia. My feeling toward me to Sulawesi Island. But i'm still undecided between Lembeh or Bunaken. I love dive but maybe take a couple of days to do a short trip surround this places. According to this huge forum i think most of you guys are very expert about this area.
Could anyone help me and give me some reccomendation?
Thanks buddies.

The obvious answer to your qustion is: Do both! Transfers between are short and easy and several resorts have shops in both locations. Even if you choose to use one that hasn´t, transfers are easily arranged. The two places are so different that they each warrant a visit.

For advice on specific resorts, you might give an idea of the price range you are interested in. I used Two Fish Divers when I visited a month or so ago, and they worked out very well, and have a shop at both places. Facilities and food are basic, but if you do not need pool and AC, quite OK. NAD in Lembeh gets great reviews and there are other similar places. Both Lembeh and Bunaken also have high end resorts, so whatever standard you want it is easy to find.

Pesronally I find Lembeh (Macro muck) more interesting than Bunaken (walls). Depending on your interests and previous experiences, you might want to spend more time at one of the places. I am already planning a return trip this fall, and will then stay al the time at Lembeh.

I have some pictures uploaded on Sulawesi 2010 Photo Gallery by Bent Christensen at pbase.com

Regards Bent C

I'll be the first to say more info is needed. What do you like to see? How long do you have to stay?

I went for 4 days in Bunaken (with 2fish - would not return with them) and 7 days with NAD in Lembeh (would def go back to them). We were on a budget and had time to do both, but I wanted to spend more time looking for crazy critters. For me Bunaken did not live up to the hype (if there still is as much). I have seen nicer walls and more life in Carib. Still great diving, but for me I would rather spend the time in Lembeh.

While there are not a ton of resorts in Lembeh, there is one for any budget. For me NAD was perfect combo (thinking of going back this fall... hmm, reminds me I still need to write a TR).

U should do at least a couple of days in Bunaken if u have the chance. It is the total opposite of Lembeh and does have some really nice walls with a stunning variety of coral. Combo's between the 2 areas have become commonplace these days and whoever u decide to dive with should be able to arrange your transfers so that u do not have to miss a days diving.
There has been a massive increase in the number of resorts in Lembeh these days which does mean every budget is catered for. NAD is very popular in part to the management team of Mike & Simon and is very well priced with a great location. They will also help u improve your photoghraphy tenfold. If u fancy higher end resort try the new Lembeh Hills resort. They have one of Lembeh's top dive guides called Ben working there. Eco Divers has a new operation called Lembeh cottages. Have not seen the place first hand yet but they do have a very good reputation for service and quality and have some superb dive guides.
All of these places can be booked online. Contact them direct and u might find a special deal by cutting out the "20%"travel agent :wink:.

I was underwelmed by Bunaken - there's not a lot of large fish on the walls. Some nice coral and currents though. The walls over at Sipadan are far better IMHO.

However Lembeh blew me away: it remains one of my favourite dive locations. Lots of fantastic critters.

Maybe 1-2 days at Bunaken, and 3-4 days at Lembeh, would be a good balance.

Well guys, first of all thank you to everyone. It's a really good start for my first forum. The idea to split our vacation in both place is good. I understand that Lembeh deserves more attention. What i'm looking for is a clean, budget place. I don't need luxury suite, just confortable and clean and most important good food and good diving centre.
I've been in Forster-Tuncurry, over Port Macquarie Nsw many times and I dove with Ron Hunter a local diving operator. His accomodation is good enough just to sleep but they are great underwater. And obviously the price is fair. I hope to give you my idea.
anyway, keep on and if someone else has other experience to share i'm ready to know more about.

What is it you really would like to see and what is your budget? Bunaken and Lembeth are very different. Bunaken offers wall dives with lush corals and loads of fishes and Lembeth is simply "critter's heaven" and "muck paradise". Ideally I would suggest to do both and save a few days to go sightseeing around the island. You wont be disappointed.

My husband and I did a ten day trip there in 2006. We did as you have been advised, and split the trip, with five days in Bunaken and five days in Lembeh. I think it worked out well.

We stayed at Tasik Ria and dove with Eco Divers in Bunaken. The Tasik Ria resort was pleasant enough. It is a longer ride from there to the reserve than from other places, which didn't bother us but might bother someone with seasickness issues. We basically spent the whole day on the boat, anyway. The Bunaken walls are sheer and enormous and very colorful. It is definitely macro country. For me, the best part was the shallow reef at the end of the dives -- these were like incredible Alice in Wonderland coral gardens, with hundreds of fish, corals, crinoids and psychedelic colors.

It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Lembeh (and there are no public toilets in Indonesia -- don't drink any coffee before getting on the bus!). There, we stayed at Kungkungen Bay resort, which I doubt fits anyone's definition of budget accomodations. But it was really lovely, with an extremely nice and helpful staff and much better food than TR. The diving in Lembeh isn't the colorful, bright coral and clear water of Bunaken, but the sea life was utterly facinating. The dives were treasure hunts, to find the carefully camouflaged critters. I loved Lembeh; I would go back.

First about toilets: banks always have toilets you can use. Bitung has some public toilets and whenever you really need a toilet just ask in the nearest shop of even private house. Be informed that one does not use toilet paper here.
Lembeh is not ONLY the place for critters. Sites such as Batu Kapal, California Dream, Angel Window and Magic Coral offer very nice Corals. Two excellent wrecks are found here in not too deep water. From October to April one can dive the East (open ocean) side of Lembeh Island: great viz and large schools of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom