where to go be a dive bum for a year or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also looking forward to updates! I'll be in Bali in October but it looks like you might be gone by then. In late October I'll be on Mermaid I Banda Sea crossing trip. It looks like there's still a few spots left surprisingly.
that sounds really cool!

I'm in Bali now, hanging out in Ubud for a few days but will get back to diving soon.
general plan:
- Amed for a week (dive with dive trek and get a tech dive or 2 in)
- Nusa Penida for a week or 2
- Gilis for a week or 2
- Komodo for a couple weeks, land based. maybe scuba junkies or blue marlin. or might find some last minute liveaboard options

then go to thailand for a bit, then come back for a rajah ampat liveaboard perhaps. though, now im looking at the mermaid iteneraries and they look good...

just left Amed, short report here:

now in nusa penida

Thanks for the update Bassplayer. I've been following your journey, I'm headed to Komodo for a few weeks the first part of October then over to Bali before flying back to Thailand. Currently based in Thailand but have spent a lot of time in Cozumel and Puerto Galera during the summer months. Just a recreational diver who likes to dive a few days a week. Hopefully, hook up for a beer or a dive sometime with you.

Thanks for the update Bassplayer. I've been following your journey, I'm headed to Komodo for a few weeks the first part of October then over to Bali before flying back to Thailand. Currently based in Thailand but have spent a lot of time in Cozumel and Puerto Galera during the summer months. Just a recreational diver who likes to dive a few days a week. Hopefully, hook up for a beer or a dive sometime with you.
cool let's do it, are you staying land based in Komodo or going on a liveaboard?

Starting off with just a short 2N/3Day Komodo trip then plan on a few day dives and decide from there depending on availability and conditions. DM me if you like. Safe travels

Awesome!

my latest:
July 4 fly to Oahu, staying there a few days and diving with Island divers (just trying to break up the travel)
July 9 fly to Palau, staying there a few days before and after the liveaboard
July 25 fly to Manilla, going to start with a week in Puerto Galera and see what happens from there
Aug 23 fly to Bali
” Breaking up the travel” - great idea- just flew from Florida, USA to Cebu City Philippines. 20 hours in air, plus airport time. Physically a tough adjustment- would have been much more enjoyable if done gradually.

so i went from nusa penida to gili t but bailed out pretty quickly, just rubbed me the wrong way with a bunch of small stuff. i'm in labuan bajo now diving komodo on the slow boat with dragon dive; so far 2 very nice days. really impressed with the dive sites so far.
planning to do a few tech dives here (within the limits of my AN/DP so nothing too wild), and generally going to hang around and keep diving.

might do some research to see what liveaboard options exist as well although being land based has so far been enjoyable.

quick update since i've been radio silent:

had a nice time in labuan bajo but got sick for a few days, maybe mild dengue or some other virus

returned to Bali and had a brief stay in Canggu (very busy, lots of fancy retail and restaurants)

headed to Pemuteran to dive Menjangan island and the local area. nice diving and I really liked the area, very low key and laid back but surprisingly good food to be had. while i was there i did the overnight Mt. Ijen hike to see the blue fire, that was fairly taxing!

On the way back to Denapasar stayed a couple of days in the Munduk area which was a nice change. its up in the mountains so the weather is cool and there are nice hiking options around the lakes.

Used up the last few days of my visa hanging around in sanur; didn't go diving, mostly worked on a project.

finally, i've just arrived in Phucket. Doing a day boat with Sea Bees tomorrow to the Phi Phi area and also booked a 5 day similian liveaboard starting the 29th

plan is to stay in thailand a month

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom