where to go after the G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a real good experience with my G9, but eventually the infamous Canon housing got me too :-( It flooded twice AND managed to survive, so now I don`t dare to take it down anymore. Also because an Ikelite housing for the G9 would still cost way too much for an older cam imho...
Now I’m completely lost, diving without a camera “NOOOOOOOOooooooo…..”

So I’m planning on making the most of a planned trip to Singapore in the very near future & I would like to pick up a new camera + housing.

I’m quite loyal to Canon (mainly because of the colours), but I would like to ask what brand & type YOU would recommend me to get? Let’s keep it outside of the DSLR-range, because that’s just way out of my budget. I borrowed a friends G12 & that was nice, but "people who are meant to know" have given me mixed opinions about it.
So I wonder if there is some stuff out there that I don`t know about?
Tips on cheap places to pick up the cam (in Singapore?) are more than welcome too

Anyway, thanks in advance for your time
Bert

BD--So what did these "people who are meant to know" say about the G12? If you understood them and whatever they said is critical to your needs then ok--but the G series cameras are still very hard to beat as UW cameras. Plus by being familiar w/ the G-9 it gives you a leg up for operating the G-12.

Having said that, you will hear a lot about the Canon S-95. Do a search for both on the Canon Corner forum, these two cameras get discussed a lot and very favorably. Both shoot RAW and have basically the same sensor, processor etc (the S-95 has a slightly faster lens). If you plan to add any wet lenses the nod will certainly go to the S-95. It has a shorter zoom range so it's lens doesn't protrude as much, which means they can make the lens port extension shorter. This solves lots of vignetting problems with WA and fisheye aux.wet lenses--assuming you go with high end housings like the Rec-Sea. If you aren't likely to add a fisheye wet lens you could probably go with lower end housings.

Look around on this forum for great shots that Gilligan has done in Bohol if you want to see what a newer G series camera can do when used by a skilled photographer. He shoots mostly w/ a G-10 but I believe he also has a G-12. I don't think I've heard him complain about either one! // ww

I have a spare G9 canon housing.(My G9 was stolen). I would sell it to you for the price of a couple of beers+shipping. I looked into getting a replacement on ebay but the G9 prices are still very high for a camera that is 3-4 years old. Or perhaps you can sell me your G9, for a good price!!!
I now use the S90 & canon housing.
The S90 is very good & i can add Inon UWL& dome for wide angle and Inon UCLs for macro.

However the G9 is better at macro compared to the S90. The G9 had significantly larger focal length so it was easier to manually focus on really small stuff. Using the G9 + inon UCLS i could manually focus at 10 cm using 75% zoom. This allowed me to clearly focus on Nudi rhinopores. I cannot do this using the S90.
I was a big G9 fan.

S90 better for wide , G series better for macro.
Both the S & G series are very good value for underwater photography.

There is an underwater camera store in singapore. I bought a lot of stuff from them 4 years ago. Its called Oceanic focus or something like that. I suggest you google to confirm name. They have a good webpage

I have the G11. I use it for underwater.

From my looking around, there really is not another point and shoot that is more advanced than the G12. Many people prefer the S95 which has the same chip, slightly less capable controls and a different lens. The big advantage with the S95 is it is smaller than the G12. The G series in Canon has been the go to camera for journalists who are in a situation where they can not use a DSLR.

The only way I think you can really beat the G series is to go to DSLR in either Canon or Nikon. Of course, getting into DSLRs means you have to fool with ports, interchangeable lenses, far more weight, etc. You do get more capability though at a higher price.

If u are just buying the camera & the manufacturer's housing in Singapore, can go to Alan Photo Alan Photo Trading - More Than Just a Store & MS Colors (can even get an equote from them... Welcome to M S Color Service Both places give competitive prices, especially if using cash... Think can get GST refunds too...
For scuba photography needs, I go to Scubacam...

I was a G9 user, with an Ikelite housing and Ikelite strobes and loved it. I have been loyal to the Canon brand for many years and I still have my G9 as a backup with the Canon housing and use a T2i as my land system with all the requisite Canon lenses. However, I moved up to the Olympus PEN system (E-PL1) as my primary underwater system and find it lighter, more compact, easier to get good pictures, much better quality, and much more satisfying.
The difference in costs is not as much as you might think.
Here is an overview of my experience with the new setup so far.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ol...some-pictures-review-my-e-pl1-underwater.html

Back
Top Bottom