Where to get nitrox stickers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Requiring tank marking is a good thing, but nitrox bands aren't informative, so they really aren't any more valuable than no marking at all. Personally, I mark my tanks with the current mix and max operating depth, not a big green meaningless sticker. After all, 21% O2 is every bit as much nitrox as 36% or 90%. What exactly does a nitrox sticker tell you except that the tank holds some blend of nitrogen and oxygen?

MSilvia:
Requiring tank marking is a good thing, but nitrox bands aren't informative, so they really aren't any more valuable than no marking at all. Personally, I mark my tanks with the current mix and max operating depth, not a big green meaningless sticker. After all, 21% O2 is every bit as much nitrox as 36% or 90%. What exactly does a nitrox sticker tell you except that the tank holds some blend of nitrogen and oxygen?

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just trying to make sure that I can get fills, and if that means following their policy....

MSilvia:
Requiring tank marking is a good thing, but nitrox bands aren't informative, so
they really aren't any more valuable than no marking at all.

yo, my thoughts exactly (beat me to it)

if you get any sticker, get one that allows you to mark the mix and the MOD.

you could just use duct tape and a sharpie as "disposable" stickers

rhlee:
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just trying to make sure that I can get fills, and if that means following their policy....

ah... this clown wont' sell you nitrox unless you have a "nitrox" sticker in yoru tank?

man, i hate rec dive shops

rhlee:
The ONLY sticker that should be required for a nitrox fill - when the shop is doing partial pressure fills is the sticker that says "suitable for O2 service" usually a check box (punched out hole) on a VIP sticker.

Otherwise, if a shop banks their nitrox (pre-mixed) then that can be put into any tank safely with or without the O2 Service rating.

howarde:
The ONLY sticker that should be required for a nitrox fill - when the shop is doing partial pressure fills is the sticker that says "suitable for O2 service" usually a check box (punched out hole) on a VIP sticker.

Otherwise, if a shop banks their nitrox (pre-mixed) then that can be put into any tank safely with or without the O2 Service rating.
Should...would...could... add in the shop monkey factor and all bets are off.

JeffG:
True.

I would then say to find a more informed shop to fill my tanks, if they refused to fill my un-labeled - yet approved for O2 service tanks.

JeffG:

This does remind me of one questionable, vaguely nitrox sticker related incident I had down in the LA area. I was on a boat that filled banked 36 into my non 02 clean, unstickered steel 72 rental tank all day. The fill monkey on the boat asked me not to tell the shop I rented the tank from that he had put nitrox in it (the owner of the shop apparently being a voodoo gas holdout who would be pissed if EAN was put in his tanks).

This seemed like a really bad idea. The tank was still half full at the end of my last dive of the trip, so somebody could have ended up with a tank of ~29 and thought they were diving air.

Anyway, if I were a fill monkey, I wouldn't fill your rental tank unless it had a nitrox sticker on it.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't fill your personal tank though. If they're worried about someone stealing your tank and not knowing its contents, you could put a plenty good warning sticker on with just some masking tape and a sharpie.

D_O_H:
This seemed like a really bad idea. The tank was still half full at the end of my last dive of the trip, so somebody could have ended up with a tank of ~29 and thought they were diving air.

If you were truly concerned with this - you could have bled the tank off to empty. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom