Where to find a boat like this? Or recommend one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobcatM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to located a boat like this:
(Won't let me post the URL so uploaded pics)
It's from Key's Mobile Diving, Florida Keys.
26' Glacier Bay center console catamaran

Have searched alot of classifieds, but still none of the Glacier Bay's have covers on them or a dive platform like this.
Is this a custom job?

If you could recommend a boat that's built like this I am open.

Range needs to be 120 miles or so, if not minimum 90.
Carry at least 5 people comfortable.
Dive platform or door that opens to dive out of.
Hard cover for at least some shade on those hot days.
Do not care how old it is, as long as it works.
I am open to a little cabin underneath.
And the best part not to terribly priced, below 50k if possible.

Thanks!
Bobby

Attachments

• Boat%201.jpg
    Boat%201.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Boat%202.jpg
    Boat%202.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Cliff%20Diver.jpg
    Cliff%20Diver.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Kenneth%20Diver.jpg
    Kenneth%20Diver.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 144
  • Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 125
It looks like a glacier bay 3065 or 2665 cc, but the hard top and bench seats with tank holders is custom. However there are plenty of tuna and half tower builders around the country that can build that for you. You could even customize it more to your liking like over head lighting, or speakers for teh stereo built into the hard top. Just need to buy your new boat and bring pictures to the builder of your choice. Ohh and do not forget the check book.

Glacier Bay is a not uncommon cat. All the rest is custom fabricated, easily done. Many areas that cater to offshore boating have fabricators who can make custom tops, ladders etc, just show them a drawing or a picture. All it takes is money.

N

Before I bought my boat, I look into converting a Twin-Vee cat into a 6 pack dive boat like Steve's (Keysmobile). I was quoted 20k to build the custom aluminum canopy I wanted. Marine pipe welders don't work cheap, but some of their stuff is real art.

It going to be really tough to get the combination you are looking for under $50K. Likely you would be looking for a 7+ year old hull and engines plus the cost to fabricate what you are looking for and upgrade the electronics.

Boattrader.com showed many glacier bays for sale and I am positive actual prices are likely lower by $10K+.

Last edited:
I would think closer to 100,000 dollars to duplicate that boat. I can see all of the top coverage etc for a boat for hire but for a personal boat I think you would do better with a standard tee-top, forward Mills tent, Roll Control tank racks and a single bench, perhaps behind the captains station for suiting up. That boat, IMO, has to much "stuff" located to high up for it's size to the point it might not be completely stable in a blow. I like the "stuff" located as low as possible and in smaller boats, below 22 feet, a bimini might be a better choice because it can be stowed to reduce windage. I know that biminis are not "macho" in vogue now but they offer more coverage, lighter weight and improved seaworthiness. That is just me, other will vary on that.

That is a nice boat, I see why the OP is interested, I am just saying it is highly modified and even compromised slightly to fit a specific mission.

N

For a commercial operation, the first design consideration is an enclosed head - You cannot skimp on privacy for the ladies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom