Where to do my first dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire, Bonaire, Bonaire. Great diving, wonderful life, great reefs, all levels of diving possible, can't ask for more. :wink:

hardhat:
"The overall experience confirmed my feeling that Caribbean diving is just not that good. I've been to 3 Caribbean locations in the last 18 months and I would only return to any of them if an opportunity came up that was dirt cheap, like free for example."

This is a quote from a friend that just got back from eleven days of diving in Cozumel, try the South Pacific for some real diving or South East Asia (for warm water diving). Or if you are into doing some real diving try the Pacific North West ( British Columbia, Canada) Port Hardy and area to be exact, or the Queen Charlete Islands (for cold water diving).
Don't let this post discourage you from diving the Carribean. There is plenty of good diving in the Carribean, lots of people go there all the time and enjoy it. Yes there is some great diving in the Pacific, but if you start with that then the Carribean is more likely to be a letdown. Also some of the very popular Pacific destinations tend to be a little more advanced. Start someplace cheaper and easy and get some experience. I agree Bonaire is a great place to start warm water diving, or Curacao. Or the Keys, easy to get to but no shore diving if you want that.

well its sem like your going to do whatever you want regardless of what we say: go for it go bonaire, just post them beautiful pcis for us to drool on:)

I hear and read the most wonderful things about Bonaire, esp. for new divers.

OTOH, the upper Keys (Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, etc.) would be my choice. Easy to get to (but fly into FLL not MIA) and lots of great dive sites appropriate to the new diver with tons of marine life and good coral, etc.

Diving the Keys in shallow water is great for a new diver. Focus on controlling your bouyancy in less than 20ft and doing skills in midwater at 10-15ft. Once you get those under control, you'll be in great shape for deeper dives. And you'll see lots of cool stuff while you're doing it.

Bonaire has more than just the easiest diving I've ever seen. Cool walls, great wrecks and an incredible town pier.

Of course no waves, no current and super clear water can't hurt!

Chad

Hi Jeff! :yelclap:
Also, the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) are below the Hurricane Belt. Just thought you should know.
I like Lauderdale-by-the-Sea for shore dives, but that's just because I can't get my RV to float!

Don't forget Puerto Rico. I may be biased, since that where I got certified and have done all of my diving. The southwest coast has 22 miles of beautiful wall and lots of shallow reefs. This time of year hurricanes can cause trouble, so be careful there. The only 'resort' I know of is the Copamarina Beach Resort. Otherwise there are small 'paradores' that tend to be more affordable, if not as luxurious.

Have fun and be safe,

If you want to have a big animal encounter your first time diving, forget the Caribbean, no better place than Kona, Hawaii (I talk to everyone about Kona since it's the only place I've been). Kona has the world famous manta ray night dive. You descend to 40ft in pitch black water, turn on your light, and get mobbed by 10 manta rays! If that's not diving, I don't know what is! Besides the fact that it's a night dive, it's pretty beginner friendly (strong surge, but no continuous current), it was my 3rd dive after getting my c-card. Daytime in Kona is regular reef diving in still water and hard coral reefs. None of the colorful sponges of the Caribbean, but there are more than enough tropical fish and small critters to keep you interested. There's the definate possibility of dolphin encounters (I saw plenty from the boat but was never in the water with one). I really have nothing to compare it to, but I strongly suggest adding Kona to your list of places to consider.

Back
Top Bottom